Buying a New Truck

cbavier

Lieutenant
I went about a month ago to three different Chevy dealers in three different towns trying to buy a new or fairly new truck. There were none to be had or neither could any of the dealers find one online looking anywhere. The best response I could get was they would put me on a waiting list for a leased vehicle to be returned. I thought sales was down, dealers were desperate and the lots were full of trucks. I was looking for a Chevy silverado 3/4 ton, Two or Fwd, 8100 with the 3.73 or 4.10 rear axle. Or anything capable in gas to pull 12-13,000 Lbs. Guess I'll just keep using/ driving my 1997 with 105,000 miles on it.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Buying a New Truck

Wow, surprising, in my area, there are plenty of trucks of any kind. Whether you want 2wd/4wd, new/slightly used, .5/.75/1 ton, theres a good chance you can find it local. If the old one still runs good and it's paid for, you might as well hold on to it a little while longer. :D

cbavier

Lieutenant

Wow, surprising, in my area, there are plenty of trucks of any kind. Whether you want 2wd/4wd, new/slightly used, .5/.75/1 ton, theres a good chance you can find it local. If the old one still runs good and it's paid for, you might as well hold on to it a little while longer. :D

There are plenty of half tons but they won't tow 13,000 LBs and I didn't want a One Ton Dually because it wouldn't fit in my garage.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

this gets us back to the tight credit for businesses right now. a lot of dealers (boat, auto, rv, ect) can't get credit to put product on the lot for bona fide buyers. the auto manufacturers can't afford to be the bankers for dealers right now so dealers need to find other credit for inventory. and no one wants to lend. no one lends any money, no one has inventory, nothing for the consumer to buy. it's financial gridlock. so it is not surprising you can't find a truck that is just a little out of the mainstream of what most buyers want. most dealers are going to use the little money they can get for mainstream quick turn over vehicles. you will probably have to find a dealer (usually around a large metropolitan area) that specializes in work trucks.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I did go to a big town. I went to the Largest Chevy Dealer in Michigan. In Flint, MI and they only had five 1/2 tons on the lot. No 3/4 ton's. Lots of top Kicks and some dually's. I went down from 4wd to 2wd trying to find one. Flint is a big city. 165,000 people and home of the largest truck plant in the U.S. I think sales is so poor they just aren't ordering anything or stocking any. Just trying to sell off their inventory and keep their heads above water. Where this New car.truck dealer used to have 15 or 20 salesman they only had three the day I was there that I saw. They did have lots (acres) of cars.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I just checked two dealers (one local - 23000 population) and another 15 miles away (similar population) and they have lots of 2500, 4WD some diesel and some with 6.6L motors both new and used. Didn't see any 8.1's. What is strange (at least here in big farm country), truck values, although down, are not down nearly as much as their SUV counterparts that tend to be much better equipped. They are practically giving those away used.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I don't want a Diesel and GM's ck2500 Ext Cab is a 6.0L Gas. Tow rating 12,400 that would work if I could find one, and the Ford F250 is a 6.8L V-10. The Ford tow rating is 12,500 LBS which would also be sufficient. I may have to go check out the Ford's but I am a GM Retiree and prefer the GM. I only use my truck 3-4,000 miles a year now.

D

DJ

The Gas V-10 (6.8L) will do anything the diesel 6.4 L will do.

Non towing economy will be suprisingly similar. The gas engine does not have all the EPA regulated devices recently set forth after the 2008 model year (diesel).

I like diesels, but their rationale, after 2008, is becoming MUCH less of an advantage.

For your miles and duty, I'd go gas-no question.

ridesapaint

Seaman Apprentice

This may be a silly question, but did you check the GMC lots also? I did a search and found a bunch of 07-08 GMC 3500 ex cab 6.0L 4WD non dually around. There might even be some 2500s.

jerry

cbavier

Lieutenant

Yes up here they are not separate dealers. Chevy,GMC plus all on the same lot. The bigger dealers of course don't much mix them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Get on-line and check out some of the rural GM dealers in what I consider farm or logging/forestry country. Cities of 20,000 - 30,000 located 60 miles or more from a very large metro area have a totally different demographic than the metro area so you will have much better luck finding a heavy duty truck. I'm located about 60 miles from the center of the Minneapolis/St Paul area in the few checks I've made, I had no trouble locating a new 2500 series Silverado, 4WD, with a 6.0 and 3.73 gears, locking diff, and all the other toys one generally finds.

Wishin I was Fishin

Seaman Apprentice

Check out Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho, they usually have lots of trucks. The largest Chevy dealer in the west and THe largest Dodge dealer in the world!!! Prices rarely can be beat, local guys won't even try. Worth a plane ticket to pick up your truck or have it delivered!!!!

cbavier

Lieutenant

Check out Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho, they usually have lots of trucks. The largest Chevy dealer in the west and THe largest Dodge dealer in the world!!! Prices rarely can be beat, local guys won't even try. Worth a plane ticket to pick up your truck or have it delivered!!!!

Hey thanks. I did and I'm going to be checking this one out today. That's sure a long way from Northern Michigan though. I am only about 85 miles south of the Mackinaw Bridge. I would have to wait for better weather and then go across the Upper Penisula of Michigan. I will Google directions.

2006 Ford F-350 XLT 4X4 Extended Cab stock(5738XA) $15,950
LONG BOX

Blue exterior color
Grey Cloth interior
Fuel: Gas
Engine: 6.8
Automatic transmission

jessica87

Recruit

Sometimes back I got my truck sprayed on with Spray on bedliner of Qwikliner.It took only few seconds to set & the quality of finish is aeesome.I will definitely on recommends qwikliner bedliners. :)

cbavier

Lieutenant

Well "Wishin I was Fishin". Dave Smith called me back on the Ford. It was everything I wanted but when I asked him how many miles were on it. He said 96,000 plus. I told him by the time I got it back to Michigan it would have 100,000 miles. That's is way too many. My 1997 only has 104,000 miles on it. He said that was the only truck besides Deisels that he had on the lot that was big enough to tow 12,500 Lbs. He said he would keep looking and call me if he found anything around 50- 60,000 miles. I couldn't hardly believe a three year old truck with 96,000 miles.