Shower/refer coating?

bhenry

Recruit
Hi,
I'm new to this very informative forum. I'm building a 40 Cape George Cutter and need a product to coat the shower stall and the refer/freezer boxes.

I've talked with reps from Petit, Interlux, System Three and my local supplier with not much success. I assumed a good 2 part poly would work well, but the folks I talked with were reluctant to give any of their products the green light. It is as if they had never heard such a question??? Don't most boat topsides get a little wet now and then?

At this point the shower has been glassed and coated with Duratech. The cooler boxes are lined with glass panels I laid up on melamine.

I'd like a roll/brush application, smooth, white, durable finish. I even thought of rolling gel coat, (never tried it), and might be able to live with a little texture. What about 2 part epoxy paints?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Bill

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Shower/refer coating?

My whole head/shower is done in gel coat I don't know what your setup looks like but here is a pic of mine.
1946272_5.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I did the shower in my mom's house with Brightsides about 6 years ago, it still looks great, upgrading to a two part paint should work very well for you.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My whole head/shower is done in gel coat I don't know what your setup looks like but here is a pic of mine.
1946272_5.jpg

Oh Man! What a nice head! Just seeing it makes me want to... ummm, never mind.

:D

bhenry

Recruit

Ondarvr,

thanks tor the reply. I've read some of your posts and respect your opinion. I figured a 2 part would work in the shower, but any idea how it would hold up in subzero conditions.
I'm planing on using Perfection -roll and tip. Do I need the $25 brush or can I use foam?

slasmith1,

was the gelcoat sprayed in a mold?

Bill

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Freezing won't be an issue for the paint.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ondarvr,

thanks tor the reply. I've read some of your posts and respect your opinion. I figured a 2 part would work in the shower, but any idea how it would hold up in subzero conditions.
I'm planing on using Perfection -roll and tip. Do I need the $25 brush or can I use foam?

slasmith1,

was the gelcoat sprayed in a mold?

Bill

Yes the whole head is a 1 piece molded insert.