chirping alarm

fishinAK1

Cadet
Hello all...I have a 1995 Johnson 50 hp outboard on a 17 foot skiff.

The problem...about 3 yrs ago I notice the alarm would chirp once and awhile. Only occurred maybe 1 in every 10 trips though. It was just a real sporadic quick chirp. approximately every 40 to 60 seconds. Over the last 3 yrs it is occurring more and more often. Now it happens at least 1 in ever 2 trips.
More info...There is always plenty of oil in the oil tank. Tell tale is peeing alot. New impeller 2 yrs ago. When the chirp happens there in never a difference in performance (never goes into SLOW mode). Happens at high rpms and low rpms.

PS I did search archives. But, found nothing applicable.

Please help. any and all ideas appreciated!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: chirping alarm

Is it the same chirp as when the ignition is first keyed on?

Have you tried testing the heat sensor by grounding to the block?

fishinAK1

Cadet

I actually do not get the "system check" chirp when I first turn the key. I supose this means the horn itself is shot right?

How about the t-stat? is it difficult to replace? I supose I should replace that wheather that is the problem or not. I have never replaced it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I actually do not get the "system check" chirp when I first turn the key. I supose this means the horn itself is shot right?.... .

That depends on the horn and also whether it is wired correctly or not. Older remotes did not have the horn with the test chirp.

The tan wiring is the ground wire for the horn throughout the harness, so your short to ground could be anywhere on the tan wiring. Try flexing the harness with the ignition switch in the run position, you may be able to isolate the problem area if it is not the temperature or oil system.