Need Input - Building a wood raft.

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
A local outdoors group is putting together a building/rafting contest this spring and my oldest (12) grandson asked me to be his partner. Of course I said yes. :D

The building materials will be provide, if you can call them that. They are providing debarked logs cut last year and large spools/balls of bailing twine. The tools you are allowed to use are a single blade hatchet and a knotted measuring rope. Plans must be from memory, nothing drawn or notes allowed.

A line at the bottom of the rules. "Trying to subvert the intent of these rules cheats you, your partner, and everyone in the competition. Please don't." I kind of like that.

Contest is two parts. Begin building at 8 AM and first floating raft with both people on board wins part one. Then its an afternoon of goofing off (if we are done) a camp out for the night and at 8 AM the next day part 2 begins. This part is all about distance. The team that gets the furthest down the river by 1 PM wins.

To me, it sounds like a great weekend with my grandson. Now I need to put together a "plan" for construction and try to figure out size and dimentions and log selection and, and... I will be going for a traditional double cross beam construction but thats about all I have figured out.

ALL suggestions and ideas welcome.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need Input - Building a wood raft.

You know you should buy him a copy of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and write him a note inside the cover ;)

mthieme

Captain

They do something similar in Annapolis every year.
Teams are given two sheets of plywood and few other sticks, minimal tools (no electric provided) and a cache of 3M 5200. You have X number of hours to build something that floats.
The next day, two people from each team race across the South River via paddles. Any tool over and above what you are aloted must be carried with you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it sounds like a fun weekend. good luck. remember a tiller.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

A local outdoors group is putting together a building/rafting contest this spring and my oldest (12) grandson asked me to be his partner. Of course I said yes. :D

The building materials will be provide, if you can call them that. They are providing debarked logs cut last year and large spools/balls of bailing twine. The tools you are allowed to use are a single blade hatchet and a knotted measuring rope. Plans must be from memory, nothing drawn or notes allowed.

A line at the bottom of the rules. "Trying to subvert the intent of these rules cheats you, your partner, and everyone in the competition. Please don't." I kind of like that.

Contest is two parts. Begin building at 8 AM and first floating raft with both people on board wins part one. Then its an afternoon of goofing off (if we are done) a camp out for the night and at 8 AM the next day part 2 begins. This part is all about distance. The team that gets the furthest down the river by 1 PM wins.

To me, it sounds like a great weekend with my grandson. Now I need to put together a "plan" for construction and try to figure out size and dimentions and log selection and, and... I will be going for a traditional double cross beam construction but thats about all I have figured out.

ALL suggestions and ideas welcome.
When I was a boy and always in trouble . I used to float the fraser river. When the tide came in I would float up the river and the back down when the tide went out. The river patrol folks were not impressed with me. got a ride home from the cops a few times. I was around 10 yrs old at the time. my design was like an out rigger. sit on two logs in the middle with your feet in the water. 1log across each end and two logs on each side. with 2 or three ft. of space from main hull. If your logs are 8 to 10 " thick you only need 1 log on each side , this design is far easier to maneuver than a full raft. And it is lighter. Good luck, have fun!

chiefalen

Captain

You will have to learn how to lash poles together. And have a rudder, maybe the most important thing, you know you can have 2 rudders on it, front also if you get turned around, make the handle long and a way to keep the front rudder up out of the water. You can also use the rudder gondola style to " row the raft "

Your going to need at least 6 - 6" logs. This is something i am going to bring up at the next council meeting i like it.

Good luck!

mphy98

Lieutenant

The weater started getting rough!!! Oh wrong show, for what not to do watch gilligans island reruns :D