Straighten bent prop shaft??

floatflyer56

Recruit
I run a fleet of Yamaha F40's and several F60's. Each year I go through several F60 prop shafts and a couple F40 prop shafts because they get run into the rocks and bent.

My question is, has anyone ever worked with or knows of a machine shop/ repair shop that will straighten a bent shaft? I realize that a replacement shaft is only $145, but when you have a pile of old ones just sitting aound the shop with just a slight bend in them, you wonder if someone out there hasn't has some luck straightening them out. Most of the bends aren't too noticable, you have to roll them on a flat surface to see the irregularity, but they are enough to eat up the prop seals real quick.

getusummm

Seaman
Re: Straighten bent prop shaft??

I am sure a machine shop could straighten them, although the cost may not work out in your favor. It cam be a pretty time consuming job to get a shaft perfectl straight, especially considering the tight tolerances required for a prop shaft.

aleutianwest

Seaman Apprentice

Find a machine shop most of them will do it . i work on a fleet of 70 skiffs mostly yamaha v-6s so the shafts are all the same . once they get the machines aligned first one takes a littel bit but after that they do ten in about 90 minutes 125 dollars later its a hell of deal and they look almost new

floatflyer56

Recruit

My local machine shop won't touch them, I might have to go to a bigger place and give them a try...