pulled drive- u joint question

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all,

so today i pulled the drive, everything went smooth, but after i got the drive out, upon looking at the ujoints, there is no zerk to grease them...

i was under the impression that you pull the drive and grease the u joints annually.

do i just put grease around moving parts??

IM stumped>?

Also anything else i want to do while i have the drive out???

Bellows seem ok. no water in them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: pulled drive- u joint question

If no zirks or plugs, you have the permalube joints. When they go bad, you replace them with a ujoint that has zirks. Untill then, run em till they start making noise.
Also anything else i want to do while i have the drive out???
Yes, check the alignment with an alignment bar. That's more important than greasing the ujoints.
Grease the gimbal bearing till the grease comes out, turn the bearing and do it some more. Do that a few times till all the old grease is out of the gimbal bearing. Clean up all the excess grease so it doesn't make a mess and you are ready to put the drive back on with a new gasket set.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok as far as aligning the engine.

Is this fairly simple???

or is this a task that can get fairly complicated pretty fast.

the drive seemed to slide out okay until the last bit then i had to pry so im sure its a little off.

i found an alignment bar on ebay for 35 bucks and im consdering doing it myself

Don S

You don't have to align it, all you have to do is check it and make sure it's still in alignment. The bar should go all the way in and out easily, without force.
All it would take is a loose front mount, a failed rear mount, and you will be pulling the engine to replace a $350 coupler. That is why the alignment gets checked at LEAST yearly. or any time the drive is off.
If you are going to maintain your own boat, you need the bar.
Hope you have the OEM service manual also, if not, you better be looking at the Adults only sticky at the top of the forum.

Don S

PS: How is Marietta GA this time of year. I lived in Woodstock and worked a Lockheed back in 69 and 70 ................. OMG, that was 40 years ago :eek:

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

actually we have had some very nice weather. Nice enough for me to uncover the boat and prep for some good fishin' Woodstock is propbably nothing what you remember...

its a full on connunity now. not the good ol' country it used to be. publix shopping centers, gas stations, and food marts everywhere. tons of people and real estate.

But about this engine aligning-
how would i go about Hoisting up the engine if i needed to raise the mounts.

OR Dont raise and just use sheer force of the nut turning to raise the motor?? i figure that may put too much stress on the threads on the mounts