Gas coming out the front of the carbs!!

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today i went to start my outboard, a 88 115 merc..I have gas coming out the front of all 3 carbs!! It happens only when i pump it..I also have the motor tilted alittle.. I did a search and saw it could be a stuck float..But i can't see all three being stuck.. Will it make a difference if the motor is all the way down? I was thinking if it is tilted up alittle the floats are up also!!!

It will just kick over, it wont stay running, i guess its cause all of the gas is going out the front!!

Should i always keep the motor all the way down when going to start it?

Also is starting fluid ok to spray in there to help get her started?

Any help? Laddies?

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Gas coming out the front of the carbs!!

Can't help with the gas from the carb issue but I can tell you DON"T use starting fluid to start. There is no lubrication provided if you use starting fluid. Use mixed fuel in a spray bottle instead.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks with the starting fluid part!! I hope somone helps out with the gas with the carbs part!!

mthieme

Captain

Will it stay running if you squeeze the bulb when it starts to falter?

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didnt try that mthieme, I guess i should have somone squeeze the bulb when i turn the key!!

mthieme

Captain

Not so much starting, but afterwards when it starts to konk out.
This would be an indication of a faulty fuel pump or possibly sucking air somewhere from a cracked bulb or fuel line or connectors.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks hopefully someone will help out with the gas problem... Does anyone on here have that same problem on here? If so how did they fix it?

johnkbl

Cadet

Hi!

How did you solve this problem? I have the same problem right now.

The engine does not start. Check my postings, I have already wrote explaining the problem.

Thanks a lot!!!

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

when i tried starting my motor, i noticed fuel came out of the carbs when priming it also. but seemed to only pour out if i primed it too much?

although, my motor started. so im not sure about your guys' problem

MERCrazy

Cadet

the primer bulb should get hard when the carbs are full and the floats have seated.
i have found starting the engine and pulling the fuel line off till it dies out helps with a stuck float try that a few times

may also be a stuck enrichener valve ... thats my guess

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

the primer bulb should get hard when the carbs are full and the floats have seated.
i have found starting the engine and pulling the fuel line off till it dies out helps with a stuck float try that a few times

may also be a stuck enrichener valve ... thats my guess

which line do you take off? and wouldnt fuel squirt out of the line when you do take it off because of pressure?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

oooooooooooo. gotcha. mine is a little different but i know what you are talking about now. thanks!

luskateer

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, have a similar problem too with 115 inline. I would say your carb needle valves aren't seating properly. The way it works as the float bowl fills up it causes the needle and seat to stop the flow of gas. Also the float could be adjusted incorrectly which could allow the gas to fill up too much. I would guess that you should be able to raise the motor up all the way without spilling gas out the front.
Rich

When I cranked my 30 hp twin carb merc 300 last week I also had fuel squirting from the top of the float bowl. I replaced the needle and seat and will find out today if thats solves it....Its sorta like a tolet bowl /when the water gets to the top a float valve shuts off the water.