What paint (high heat) for engine block (Mercruiser Alpha 1)?

Melandre

Recruit
I have a small Bayliner with Mercruiser 3L I/O Alpha 1. It runs only in saltwater but it is stored in my garage during the winter months (live in Vancouver, BC). Anyway, the engine block is starting to show some corrosion/rust (edges of crankcase, etc.) so I would like to paint it (to protect it better). Following recommendation of a sales person, I bought a can of Quicksilver Phantom Black Enamel Spray Paint (#92 802878 Q1) but now I am not 100% sure if it is the right stuff for the job. My concern comes from the fact that no where on the can does it say that it is a "high heat resistant" paint and I am assuming that this is the kind of paint I should use around the engine block. Looked on the internet and don't seem to find much about this specific can of paint. Anyone here can confirm that it is OK (or not) to use this stuff to touch up the engine block? Andre

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: What paint (high heat) for engine block (Mercruiser Alpha 1)?

Truthfully, any rattle can paint will work. I like Rustoleum personally. Just keep a can of something handy to touch up the occassional place that needs it.

Melandre

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply! So no need to use a high heat paint like one would do on a cast iron BBQ or a wood burning stove? Engine block doesn't get hot enough to worry about "high heat" grade paint?

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can go to any auto paint supply store and have them make up rattle cans of what ever you want.
kind of expensive but great results.
i'm thinking enamel is good for around 600*.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Plasti-kote engine enamel from auto parts dealers, good to 1500 degrees and leaves a excellent finish with no rust thru. I use it on all my engine rebuilds (inboard and outboard)

WizeOne

Commander

If you wanted it to last here is what I would do. If there is any rust on the bare block, I would use a converter like the Rust Doctor. Then I would prime it with a product called Glyptol. It is an insulating 'paint' that is even used in engine oil galleries to seal in any casting sand that might break loose. Then I would use a catalytic primer, then overcoat it with something like POR 15.

If you do anything less it will look horrible in a very short period of time.