Moving to FL, need some info.

Greetings all!

A change in jobs is forcing a move upon us this Summer. We will be leaving AZ and moving to S. Fl, most likely the Jupiter area. My plan was to sell the boat and just get something once we settle in. However the boat market is ridiculously bad (as you all know), and I refuse to give the boat away, so it looks more and more like we will be bringing it with us.

My question is, what is the boating like around the Jupiter/Stuart areas? I don't really see us doing much fishing, mostly we like to cruise and hit the sand bars with occasional water sports thrown in for the kids. The boat is a 24' Wellcraft open bow/runabout. I know it's not really an open ocean boat, but will it be OK for running the intracoastal? And is there that much to do in that area? I've never been on the water in that part of the state so I'm looking for any information I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Moving to FL, need some info.

the boating is beautiful, you will have no problems with your boat. if you decide to equip to go off shore some, which you will want to do. have a bow cover made, just incase conditions change. we have a 230 Chris Craft Deckboat, go to the Keys every August, think nothing of running 7 miles out, to Loe Key for some snorkeling, and scuba. you just have to plan around the weather conditions.

Thanks for the reply. Funny thing, almost immediately after I typed that, a guy called and seeems very interested in the boat. Maybe this will turn into a what kind of boat should I buy thread!

I'd love to hear from more boaters in the Jupiter/West Palm area.

Thanks,

Steve

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome! to the forum, as well as to Florida. I run my 20' Key West many miles out into the Gulf, and feel that with a 24' boat you will be very safe offshore as well as in the intracoastal. That area has some great fishing and gets deep really quick, so unlike this coast you don't have to venture too far to get some good fishing water. Good luck! :)

Well Holy Cow, I should have started this thread a month ago. I sold the boat!!! Really hated to see it go, but I got a good price and don't have to worry about dragging it 2500 miles.

So........

Now for the fun part, what kind of boat should I get? I'd like to be able to carry up to 9, normal load will be 4. Kind of hard to tell until we get down there, but I mostly see us cruising the Intracoastal. I'd like a capable boat that I can take the boys out fishing, even Scuba (got a good friend that teaches in FL). An occasional trip to the Bahamas, and oh yeah, I'd like to be able to trailer it. Have a big truck and can pull up to 9000 lbs so I'm thinking 23-26 foot Center Console? Maybe a walk around? Could spend up to 30k or so, but I definitely don't have to spend all of that. I'd like to focus on a type of boat first, then worry about the cost.

So what say you IBoats? I've owned boats for 15 years now, all in the Midwest or AZ. It's going to be a new kind of boating in FL and we are very excited. I'd like to get a capable boat we can grow into.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Mods, should this be moved to a new forum?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well, i will say with the $30,000 budget, unless you buy older, and refit, the causal cruise to the Bahama's is out. the boats market here is definitely a buyers market. i have found a really great all-round boat.

i have a 1999 Chris Craft 230 Deckboat, 5.7 Volvo SX drive. rated for 13, head, plenty of storage. we take it to the keys every year, and venture out to Looe key, for snorkeling 7 miles off shore. we fish from her, ski, tube, wakeboard. just a 100% usable. comfortable boat.

Keys2008001.jpg

7-4-08ORMONDBCH010-1.jpg

here it is riding out hurricane Gustav in the keys last year. clik on the pic to play.

these do not come on the market often, mine is the 230 the 260 is fantastic.

start watching Craigslist, Jacksonville, Miami, Daytona, Fl keys, Ft Myers, Bradenton/Sarasota.

be patient and look around you will find a deal.

mine booked at 35,000, bought it 3 years ago for 17,000 with trailer..

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your requirements need to be redefined at that price range. I would look for a used Contender or Seavee, 23' with a single outboard, you may get lucky and find one. Your best bet would be to wait, see what you really need/want and then shop.

Thanks for the replies. The ChrisCraft is a beautiful boat and I've had a deck boat in the past I loved. I've been out in my buddies fish/dive boat a couple times though and just don't think that's what I'm looking for this time.

What kind of equipment would you all consider a must for occasional trips to the Bahama's? I'm OK with an older boat that needs/has had a refit and have done a lot of work on boats. Obviously a good motor (or 2) and the necessary electronics, safety equipment, what else?

I've got some time to narrow this down and will certainly look at the Seavee and Contender.

Thanks for the help.

mthieme

Captain

TD - you have a lot of faith in those line bows...I didn't notice fenders either.
When Isabel rolled through a few years back, I was the first one on the creek to pull my boat up. I stashed it at a friends farm - hundreds of feet from the nearest tree! My wife (ever the city girl) gave me all kindsa grief about pulling it out. The better part of the week there was a line at the ramp. Tides were 4' above the piers! Boats that were on lifts wound up ****-eyed (at best).