Ignition key is now dead

tavett

Seaman Apprentice
i've been secretly reading you guys posts for a couple of weeks now. i've just bought a 1987 bayliner cobra 125 force. my tilt indicator was the only thing not working, so i accidently touched a hotwire to the wrong post of my tilt gauge. now there's nothing on my key ignition switch........ no dashlights, no fuel gauge, no batt.ind., no start, no nothing. i looked under the engine cowling and reset circuit breaker. please guys, i need help. i haven't even got to put it on the water yet. thanx

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ignition key is now dead

So you're saying that the engine breaker did pop? If so, and you reset it then there might be a little more to look at. Be advised though that those engine breakers need a really hard push to reset them.
Start by looking under the dash for your fuse box. Pull each one out and look really good - a continuity test would be more than helpful to you. If in doubt replace it.
If still nothing then get back. Hopefully someone will have a more detailed explanation.

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 87 bayliner I have a in line fuse that sits right next to the battery, might wanna look around there, I believe it feeds the dash board

tavett

Seaman Apprentice

Initially I had checked around the motor and reset the one breaker...I had thought that was the only one. Last night after doing lots of reading on here,I went back out and saw that there was actually another one in there. I reset it and that did the trick.

Thanks so much for the replies!