? on engine timing

Mach 1 2350

Cadet
My friend purchased a 1967 chris craft commander 24 foot straight inboard runabout at the end of last season. We hauled out the engine and did a rebuild, but im not exactly sure how to time the enigine. This particular engine has the transmission bolted to the front, so the normal timing marks are not there. I was hoping that some one could help me find some info on timing the engine, thanks for any help. By the way its a chevy 350.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ? on engine timing

CC usually had the timing marks on the flywheel and a hole somewhere in the flywheel cover with a pointer or scribe line in it.
Rusty flywheels, and paint can cover a lot of it. Rust on the flywheel can obscure the degree marks.
They had different opening in differnt years. I would suggest you contact Chris Craft (If the still exist) and see if they have the service manual for one that old. I know a few years back I was able to get the engine manual for a 71 model counter rotating engine.
99% of the castings and housings were all made by Chris Craft.

Mach 1 2350

Cadet
Re: ? on engine timing

thanks for the input, yea the engine has one of the windows with the scribe mark, ill try contacting chris craft like you said.