Doing the gimbal bearing and alignment, couple questions!

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I did a fair amount of searching, but hard to sift through the various posts out there. I'm wondering if someone could give me the basic procedure (dummy's version) for how to go about replacing the gimbal bearing and aligning the engine in my Alpha 1 Drive (coupled with Mercruiser 5.0 Litre V8, 305 Chevy Small Block). Please note, I've purchased an alignment bar with attachable driver head for installing the gimbal bearing. I've already removed the old gimbal bearing with the help of a friend's slidehammer (came out relatively easily, a couple good whacks).

I also have the OEM manuals in PDF format for both my drive and engine, but I can't find the alignment procedure anywhere! So that's the big thing. Also, do I install the gimbal bearing in first, and THEN do the alignment? Or does it matter? Is installing the gimbal bearing just a matter of lining it up properly (grease hole) and then tapping on it with the shaft/driver head?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Doing the gimbal bearing and alignment, couple questions!

Is installing the gimbal bearing just a matter of lining it up properly (grease hole) and then tapping on it with the shaft/driver head?

Ayuh,.... That's about it....

Also, do I install the gimbal bearing in first, and THEN do the alignment? Or does it matter?

I guess it would be kinda hard to align the gimbel bearing to the motor,..
If the gimbel bearing hasn't been Install yet,..??..?? Don't cha Think,..??

I also have the OEM manuals in PDF format for both my drive and engine, but I can't find the alignment procedure anywhere! So that's the big thing.

Look again,.... It's in there...

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have the OEM manuals in PDF format for both my drive and engine, but I can't find the alignment procedure anywhere!

Look in the engine service manual under the engine removal and installation section.​

You never state what year you have but in manual #24 its in Section 2, begining on page 2A-15. It's titled "Alignment". ;)

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, with my buddy's help, got this done today. Not too bad, but definitely glad he was there to show me how it's done! We had some difficulties with the alignment, but i will do a writeup later. Maybe this procedure should be a sticky?