what to replace 1986 280/with

treeman

Seaman
i have 1986 2150 with a 280 out drive on her it still works. iam just thinking it would be nice to be able to trim it out. so what new one would go on her with out a big bunch of money on her.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what to replace 1986 280/with

what new one would go on her with out a big bunch of money

Nothing will replace it cheaply or easily.

captmello

Captain

What about trim tabs? I've got an '88 275 outdrive on my 20' bowrider. I think I would add tabs if I could find an extra $500.:)

treeman

Seaman

thanks don but that still dont answer the ? what to replace it with iam not concerned about the cost i like my 2150 it is in real nice shape has a new long block in her just not happy with the 280 thanks again

Don S

thanks don but that still dont answer the ? what to replace it with iam not concerned about the cost

You had this in your original post

so what new one would go on her with out a big bunch of money on her.

Guess I just assumed cost DID have something to do with it.

Basically, you have to replace the transom shield with one that has trim, this also changes the mid section of the drive, and depending on the year transom shield you find, you will probably have to replace the complete drive because they are not interchangeable.
You may be able to find a 280 transom shield with power trim on it, but they are few and far between.

Bondo

Staff member

What about trim tabs? I've got an '88 275 outdrive on my 20' bowrider. I think I would add tabs if I could find an extra $500.:)

Ayuh,... I see 1 Big Issue with this thought,....

Trim Tabs, do the exact Opposite as outdrive Trimming does....

Trim Tabs, push the Bow, Down....

Trimming up the Drive, causes the Bow to Rise......

captmello

Captain

Ayuh,... I see 1 Big Issue with this thought,....

Trim Tabs, do the exact Opposite as outdrive Trimming does....

Trim Tabs, push the Bow, Down....

Trimming up the Drive, causes the Bow to Rise......

Hmmmm...

Thanks for pointing that out.:rolleyes:

The issue my boat is that its a bit slow to plane and seems to require a higher speed to plane that I would like when dragging the kids around.

Those Volvo outdrives do have an adjustment to tip the drive up and down to change the performance a bit, but you sacrifice speed and efficiency for quicker planing and isn't so helpfull.

Couldn't you set the drive to push the bow up a bit for speed and use the trim tabs/smart tabs to get on plane sooner and plane at lower speeds?

just not happy with the 280

You could look for a complete used 290 w/power trim but you would need to change out the transum shield as well as the entire drive. then wire up the pump and controls. Sounds like a big Job!!!

Good luck!!

Bondo

Staff member

The issue my boat is that its a bit slow to plane and seems to require a higher speed to plane that I would like when dragging the kids around.

Ayuh,...

As you've explained Your issue,... Yes,.. Tabs would be what you want....

Don S

Here's a thought, find a DP lower unit (not the whole drive, just the lower) and install it. Then see if you need the trim or not. Bet you won't.