Volvo SX vs DPS Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Larsen Cabrio 220 with a 5.0 Gi and SX Drive

I was thinking about changing to a DPS drive as I heard the hole shot & performance was better.

The boat presently does around 45-46 MPH. Is this a worthwhile venture?
Can it simply be swapped out with a DPS drive or is there others things I need to do?
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX vs DPS Drives

All you have to change is the lower unit and props. You don't even need the complete drive.

You may gain 1 or 2 mph, hard to say, but you will get on plane easier, better low speed steering, LOT better fuel milage, be able to carry more weight in the boat at less rpm than normal, and be able to back up in the direction you want to go. Other than that, not much difference.

Bondo

Staff member

Is this a worthwhile venture?

Ayuh,...

If you've got the loose cash laying around,..... It's Worth it.....

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, when you say "change the lower unit"

Do you mean I can purchase the lower end only and use my existing upper end? If so, that would be cheaper than replacing the entire drive.
Thanks for the info.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Whoa that would extremely expensive, neither the props nor the lower unit are cheap..3500-4000 wouldnt suprise me at all...Maybe just a 4 blade ss with stern lift might be satisfactory..Good luck.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ebay is a pretty good place to look sometimes if you know what to look for...... for Volvo I don't, but here's a new DP drive for about $4300 plus shipping....(Whole drive .....not just the lower)

There's usually a couple of them(new) a month on on ebay.....

It will make a huge difference in hole shot and acceleration....especially over a 4 blade prop....

If you do it you can always either keep your present drive or just sell it...

I would do it...

Regards,

Rick
bravoIII2.gif

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean I can purchase the lower end only and use my existing upper end? If so, that would be cheaper than replacing the entire drive.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

PS: You need a 1.98:1 gear ratio, a 1.78:1 is for a Big block Chevy. Wouldn't work very well with your 5.0L

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is a decent price for a DP drive? A local guy to me is parting out one and asked me to make offer. I think it has about 500 hrs on it w/ props.

MarkChambers

Cadet

First post at iBoats.

I just purchased (2 days ago) a 2010 Larson 226 Senza. The boat is brand new and at a price I couldn't pass up. Power is the Volvo 5.7 300 hp with the single prop SX drive. I am thinking of swapping the SX for the DPS while it is new and still at the dealer if it can be done without voiding the new boat warranty. Don't know what it will cost. It's a 2K option but obviously it can't be done for that. Any ideas on what a fair price would be and whether the swap is worth it?

FYI, most of my time will be spent on the larger northern Michigan lakes like Lake Leelanau, Torch Lake, Lake Charlevoix et. al., with occasional runs in Grand Traverse Bay on good days. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.