Cleaning Lower Unit

MotorlessCSJ16

Seaman Apprentice
Just pulled the lower unit from a motor that has been sitting forever. It's a 1976 Evinrude 40hp. I plan on selling it and want to clean it up. It has all kinds of dirt and cob-webs inside. Lower unit oil looked great, though. What's a good way to clean it out good and make it look pretty?

Also, what's one of these worth? It's in great shape and I'd like to sell it prop and all. Prop looks great, too.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cleaning Lower Unit

I like to clean with WD40 and a rag. For inside the gearcase you can use kerosene.

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

selliing lower unit, or complete running motor? what is the condition, mechanically and cosmetically?

MotorlessCSJ16

Seaman Apprentice

selliing lower unit, or complete running motor? what is the condition, mechanically and cosmetically?

Well I was planning on parting it out because I can't really afford to be putting money into it right now. It sat for a while but everything appears to be in good shape. One cylinder is great and the other needs some minor honing or you could probably just take a brillo pad to it in one spot. Carb looks good but I would rebuild it anyways. Very little corrosion on the inside but the bolts holding the exhaust housing to the powerhead/motor cover are corroded pretty bad. I was planning on replacing all of the outer hardware. It would definitely be a project but I wouldn't say more than $500-600 would have to go into it to make it like new. Lower unit and starter are great. Getting the starter checked today, sometime, at Advance Auto Parts.

Cosmetically...I guess it depends how picky you are. I like things to look like new so I was going to paint it. But the paint isn't bad and just needs to be cleaned off with some soap and water or something. Just has dirt on it.

Did you know someone who may be interested?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it were a running motor value, 250-450. you may make more parting it out.. lower unit. $75-125.

MotorlessCSJ16

Seaman Apprentice

I'm going to part it out. Lower unit and starter are on tampa bay craigslist right now. If anyone is interested or knows someone who may be, please let me know.