is it worth it??

dukhntr4lfe

Cadet
wow first post and im asking for a lot well i have a 69 evinrude fisherman 6hp that i got from my grandpa..... after it sat at least ten years i started it up to my surprize it started the 3rd pull... idled great went into forward and reverse great noticed that it wasnt spitting water turned it off.... started to take it apart and noticed some things wrong heres what i have to replace...
main spring-rewind and the pinion
water tube grommet
water pump thinking of getting the kit
impeller repair kit
hopefully that will be a start i also need to check the water tube to make sure its not clogged
im pretty mechanically inclined and if i run into probs my buddys is a boat mechanic
just wnt to kno wif you think its worth it to do this and any problems i might run into
thanks

jasper60103

Commander
Re: is it worth it??

Is it worth it?

Guess it depends...
Could you use it?
Does it hold a lot of sentimental value?
Would you enjoy fixing it up?
Would you like to fix it to sell or trade? Don't expect much money though.

There's a lot good folks willing to help on this forum.

Sitting there collecting dust is a waste.

jbjennings

Captain

Heck yes it's worth it. That's a good motor. It will outlast your grandson if you fix it RIGHT. The stuff you listed is relatively cheap. I don't know if it's the correct way or not but I heat my springs with a torch and put a new loop in the end since it's usually the end that breaks. Anyway, fix it. You'll enjoy it. It needed a new water pump anyway. :)
Just my opinion,
JBJ

Well, considering you have a buddy who works on boat motors you'll be saving a great deal on any labor costs ;) I'm not sure if it's the same as regular car parts but e-bay is a great place to find items cheap; due to so many sellers and not enough buyers you'll always make out good! Best of luck!

dukhntr4lfe

Cadet

ok thanks guys what i ment was was it worth it is the price for a similar motor used or just replace hopefully whats wrong. when i was taking apart the gearcase area looking at the water pump i noticed that some one but the gasket on wrong for the gear housing and when i drained the oil from the gear housing it was a nice chocolate milk color i know what that mean in a car so guessing that it means the in a boat.... so going to have to replace a few other things as well.... yah ebay is good i got a rewind spring for 10 bucks:)
well thanks for the info if i run into any probs ill be asking aslo keep you updated incase any one is interested

cbavier

Lieutenant

duk it's well worth it for sentimental if nothing else. It was your Grampa's. Also welcome aboard iboats.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

.....just wnt to kno wif you think its worth it to do this...

Since it runs the single merit of the fact that it was your grandfather's says "YES" it is worth it.

Replace the fuel lines, filter, all the lower unit seals, and the water pump impeller. You'll be good to go!

Watch the methanol in the new gas- don't know if that is an issue in your area. I cured some rough idle issues on my 40hp by using the new Marine Stabil in every tank. Don't know how others feel about that but once the methanol labels showed up I started having issues. Hadn't caught on to that correlation, but another fisherman at a ramp suggested I try Stabil and I got my old boat motor back...

I had a '68 Johnson 6, and have a '56 5.5 (see avatar). They are awsome motors. Light to carry, and peppy enough to move a 12' footer pretty well with one, or two (lighter) people. A tank of gas will last forever. Doing the impeller kit and lower seal kit is really not hard, and will serve you well for many years. Be sure to re-grease the top of the driveshaft, and use some o-ring lube on the bottom of the water tube so it slides into the new grommet without grabbing and distorting it. I would also replace the thermostat and gasket, especially if it is a salt water motor. I'm getting the boating bug already, and it's early Feb!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A Johnson Factory Service Manual would be an excellent investment, Duk. Save you a lot of bux and headaches.

You have a great little engine. Don't let her age bother you. Nobody makes a better six today.