getting a big boat on the trailer?

sstuna

Cadet
I just got a regal ambassador 255xl & its ten feet longer than my last boat. i have a two wheel drive truck (1 ton crew cab dually 1 wheel wonder), what i'm wondering is what is the best way to get it on the trailer? i'm thinking i should barely put the trailer in the water & crank it on the trailer ( have roller trailer) instead of floating it on the trailer? i have seen other people that floated big boats on the trailer & the front post on the trailer looked like it was going to twist off do to the all the weight of the boat being pulled by the post? i will be putting in & out of the water evry weekend ( if we can get out that much) & im looking for the easiest way to do it.
thanks for any help:)

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: getting a big boat on the trailer?

It's the same as a small boat. just larger don't make it harder than it needs to be.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1st you need guide ons on the trailer, it will not take long winching that boat, to learn to float it on. the main thing is to find the correct depth for your trailer.

this one loads easier than my jon boat.

7-4-08ORMONDBCH010-1.jpg

cbavier

Lieutenant

Float it on. You cannot winch it on. You must float it on it's too heavy to winch even on a roller trailer. My 19 ft must be floated on my roller trailer.
Back the trailer in the water so the top of the fenders are barely submerged or even with water surface and try floating it on. After a couple trys you will know where the trailer needs to be in the water in relation to the surface. I hope you have a long enough tongue on your trailer. My tongue is about 4 ft from ball to winch stand. The above depth advise works for me. I launch and retrieve by myself most of the time. In fact I prefer to do it alone. If someone is with me I just have them stand on the dock and watch or control the rope. You probably will have to winch the last six inches just to snub it up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have a roller trailer, you don't need to back in very deep. You should certainly experiment, but a roller trailer typically only needs to be backed in so the tips of the fenders touch the water. Too deep and the boat will not center on the trailer. Too shallow and it will be difficult to load. At the proper depth you should still be able to winch the boat with little effort. If you do find that winching is difficult, get the boat centered and begin winching. Then have a helper back up a foot or so. Winch again. Back up again and repeat. It doesn't matter which technique you use -- you simply need to practice whichever method works best for you.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a roller trailer, you don't need to back in very deep. You should certainly experiment, but a roller trailer typically only needs to be backed in so the tips of the fenders touch the water. Too deep and the boat will not center on the trailer. Too shallow and it will be difficult to load. At the proper depth you should still be able to winch the boat with little effort. If you do find that winching is difficult, get the boat centered and begin winching. Then have a helper back up a foot or so. Winch again. Back up again and repeat. It doesn't matter which technique you use -- you simply need to practice whichever method works best for you.

this is exactly what i do. I do not have a roller trailer and I've been taught to not get in the habit of power loading so I idle the boat onto the trailer as far as it will go, power down, connect the winch and winch it as far as it will go (its kinda like a game... i try to get it on the first try :) ). If I cannot get it all the way snug, my wife backs down the ramp a little until I get it snug. Works out nicely.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

I load my 240 Sundancer (quite a lot more boat then I'm used to) in a ramp that's half as big as I used to load at. The first time took us 2 hours, but we can get in/out of the water like its second nature because of exactly what Silvertip was saying...we dont back the trailer to far into the water and do a lot of winching, get used to that because its easier than powering onto the trailer and you also get the boat on there and centered just right almost every time.

Find that sweet spot on your trailer and its all downhill from there.

Hope this helps.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

We have to float my dads on. Searay 300 Weekender.

l_ea55844fa1f1d9db91cae21b62d95af8.jpg

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Regal 2860 and I put the bunk trailer in the water so that the rear tires of my Dodge 2500 4x4 long bed are just touching the water. We just guide the boat all the way to the winch just by using dock lines. The 5 ft trailer guide posts really help.

Dale

zach103

Commander

i agree with guide ons.. the dock lines help.. but deff float it on.. . i would get it so that the trailer is in enough to easily float it on

a70eliminator

Captain

Here's a little TIP that just may help you out, back into the water deep enough that your bow will be within arms reach of the winch post, hook up your strap and winch the bow up to the cradle, now here's the tip pull the boat out s-l-o-w-l-y for the first few feet, this allows the boat to settle down into the trailer, I've seen when guys pull the boat out too fast and it kinda wags right and left before settling in crooked.

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree about pulling the boat out slowly, sometimes I have to put it back in if the bunks are not sitting on the chines properly. The biggest problem is if the wind is blowing, the boat wants to favor one side of the trailer. In that case sometimes it helps to have someone pulling on the rear dock lines to keep the boat centered on the trailer while the boat is settling on the trailer.

Once you get a routine it is not to bad, just take your time and don't take any short cuts.

Dale

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once you get a routine it is not to bad, just take your time and don't take any short cuts.

Dale

i think this is one of the most important things to remember. If you rush, you will make mistakes. Take your time and tune out the watchers, gawkers, and waiters. It is your 20-50k investment, not theirs.

freddyray21

Commander

I agree about pulling the boat out slowly, sometimes I have to put it back in if the bunks are not sitting on the chines properly. The biggest problem is if the wind is blowing, the boat wants to favor one side of the trailer. In that case sometimes it helps to have someone pulling on the rear dock lines to keep the boat centered on the trailer while the boat is settling on the trailer.

Dale

quide on's will stop that. We sometimes launch and retrieve in the river. I back the truck down and my wife drives it between the guide ons and I winch it up. works every time even if there is current.