Used CMC PTT or Used Factory PTT?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Used CMC PTT or Used Factory PTT?

if they are both working, and in good shape, Factory.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OEM. The CMC doesn't have the slow trim and is difficult to fine tune.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

again assuming that they both are in good working condition i would also consider age of the motor you are putting it on. finding a factory PTT for a 30 yr old motor often means it is a 25-30 yr old PTT unit. if it is for a 5 yr old motor then that is a differant cosideration. what is the condition and age of your motor? is it going to last long enough to pay to put a factory unit on it vs a CMC unit that is a universal fit that would work on several motors. would you benifit from the 3-5 in set back that a CMC unit gives you? i have had factory PTT and have a CMC unit. factory is easier to fine tune and has a large selection of trim guages to match whatever guages you have. as far as i know you have to use the CMC guage. the CMC unit is more difficult to get a feel for but works just fine. i don't know what a factory unit weighs (they have always just been part of the motor) but a CMC unit is no lightweight. so depending on your boat that should also be a consideration. in my case Honda made installing a factory PTT afterwards almost impossible so the CMC or Panther units were really the only choices.