Yamaha carb trouble

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 15HP 4stroke Yamaha Model F15eshz 2001. I purchased this motor used 2 years ago. When I put fresh gas in it at the start of the season and pumped the bulb gas ran out of the top or the carb. I disassembled the carb cleaned it it ran fine for the year. The next year at the start of the season same thing happened. I rebuilt the carb with a Kit (new needle valve and float). It ran fine. Now this year same thing. I remove the carb turn it upside down a few times and reinstall and it runs fine. Am I missing something? Can I get a needle valve that does not stick? Thanks

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha carb trouble

I treat the fuel and run the engune for a few minutes to get the fuel in to the carb. I then remove the spark plugs and spray a little fogging oil in.

This problem also shows up if the boat is setting for a few weeks without use in the summer. The fix is to remove the carb shake it a few times replace and it works fine. I thought the cark kit would fix it but apparently not. I don't know what to do outside of replacing the entire carb.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

replace the carb and now you have a spare carb and a new carb with the same problem.
the issue here is your storage steps with todays federally mandated crap gas.
best thing is if its gonna sit more than a week is to simply remove the bowl drain and drain it.
so far not much we can do about it as the govt changed the fuel specs after most these engines were desinged.
kinda like playing poker and halfway through the game your opponent,who makes the rules suddenly says 2, 4 10 and one eyed jacks are wild.
now try to win.

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks rodbolt for the reply. I didn't think the fuel could go in less than a couple weeks even with stabilizer in it. It is shame we have to pay for it. Is there anything I can supplement the fuel with to alleviate this problem. It is just a pain. The needle valve is just sticking in the seat!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a buddy that had the same issue and he did everything you have done. Finally he took it to a few mechanics and a couple hundred dollars later his carb still had the same issues...eventually his mechanic told him that today's gas just isn't cut out for outboards...the only way to fix this is to use your boat every couple of days, LOL...even sitting for two weeks will start the break up of the fuel.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Geo7, what product do you use to stabilize the fuel?

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi cousinabe, I am using Yamaha's ring free in the fuel along with Stabil. Do you think it is the wrong kind of stabilizer? If so what are others using.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

geo7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your replies are right. It is probably the gas. After reading the links supplied I saw there is a marine grade stabil. I was not using it just the regular stabil. I will drain and clean the tank, refill it and use startron. Thanks for the input to my problem.