So far I'm 2 for 2 with the new boat!

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've taken my new boat out twice and both times have managed to perform a stupid human trick:

1. Sunday, I took the boat to my local lake for a test drive. The park with the boat launch was packed because they were having a mountain bike race; so there were cars, kids, and cyclist everywhere. I launched the boat without incident and tied it to the dock. Then I hopped out to park the truck/trailer ? which went well. As I tried to re-enter the boat, I stepped on the small platform on the bow of the boat, which made the boat sink about 6-8 inches. This was just enough to make me lose my balance and do a complete face-plant on the floor of the boat in front of about 40 people. Nice . . . real nice.

2. Since the weather was so nice, I left work early Monday to do some fishing. I arrived at my local launch area (the same one in the first story) around 3:30 pm. There was a severe cross wind blowning. I backed the boat down the ramp, put the truck in park, and began my usual ritual of climbing into the bed of the truck, then out on the trailer tongue to disconnect the bow strap and gave the boat a good shove to get it off of the bunks. Once I pushed the boat free of the bunks, I jumped in and began to drift away from the trailer so I could pull along side the dock.

Once I was clear of the trailer, I sat in the driver?s seat, and tried to start the boat. Where the hell are the boat keys? Oh crap! I left them in the damn truck!!!!!!

So here I am drifting out to sea with my truck and trailer on the ramp. Thank god I had a paddle. I paddled back on to the trailer (as best I could in a severe cross wind ? which forced the boat to load at a 45? angle), retrieved my keys, and set off again. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!

Fu-Inator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: So far I'm 2 for 2 with the new boat!

This was just enough to make me lose my balance and do a complete face-plant on the floor of the boat in front of about 40 people. Nice . . . real nice.
I did the EXACT thing last summer when my boat was parked in a slip. Luckily there were only 4-5 drunkards around to see my graceful face plant. I got up and said, ?I guess I just lost five cool points?? lol. You?re not alone there bro.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Being across from a public boat ramp, you are in a big club.

Last weekend we watched a guy launch his bass boat, gave it shove to get it off the trailer, but missed hanging onto his bowline. Yep, shoved the boat out into the cove. With water temps being 37 degrees, he didn't want to dive in after it. Luckily, the wind was from the north, so by the time he parked his truck, his boat had come back to shore. He got in, gathered up the bowline, and went on his way.

No witnesses other than us watching from our family room.

I stepped on the small platform on the bow of the boat, which made the boat sink about 6-8 inches. This was just enough to make me lose my balance and do a complete face-plant on the floor of the boat in front of about 40 people. Nice . . . real nice.

Ouch, I hope you were ok! Worst case senario is you'll find your act on youtube! :D

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There was a guy about 20 feet away who had a front row seat to my little show. I told him, "If I had any dignity, that would have been humiliating".

fishrdan

Admiral

Yep, shoved the boat out into the cove.

I did that one a few months ago :rolleyes::D

Was backing my jon boat into the river and the forgot to clip the bow line onto the chain,,, chain was off the boat for some odd reason :confused: Stabbed brakes and watched my boat go floating off into the river :eek: Quickly grabbed the transom strap and the boat was just out of throwing distance.

Saw that the boat was floating towards the gated/locked marina dock and had to do some gymnastics to get past the locked gate and onto the dock. Patience, Patience,,, boat drifted under the dock's gangway and I hooked the boat with the transom strap. WHEW!

Oh yeah, it was midnight and not a soul around. If it weren't for the dock I would have been swimming... Not going to make that mistake again.

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two for two?

Isn't that a hundred percent? :D:D

Ok ok, I'm going already! :D:D

Chevysolid

Seaman Apprentice

Thats funny stuff... I can just picture it all, including the excitment on the way there to get out in the boat........ and then...... damn.....wheres my keys...

:D:D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I see no point in removing the boat keys from the ignition. No one is going to steal the boat when it is on the trailer in your back yard. the only time i would is it i docked it at a marina. Just for that reason, when i need to start the engine quick, i want the key in it.
One time i left my wallet and cell phone on the ramp late one night, made it half way home before i realized it. Came back and they were sitting on the dock right where i left them.
No one was at the ramp.

45Auto

Commander

I see no point in removing the boat keys from the ignition. No one is going to steal the boat when it is on the trailer in your back yard.

Probably not going to steal it, but I live in a neighborhood with lots of kids. I can imagine one climbing into the boat just to play "fisherman" or something and seeing those nice keys hanging there: hmmm, might as well crank the boat up and pretend to drive it! Imagine how long your engine would last ......

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see no point in removing the boat keys from the ignition. No one is going to steal the boat when it is on the trailer in your back yard. the only time i would is it i docked it at a marina. Just for that reason, when i need to start the engine quick, i want the key in it.
One time i left my wallet and cell phone on the ramp late one night, made it half way home before i realized it. Came back and they were sitting on the dock right where i left them.
No one was at the ramp.

I have a "boat box" I have a tool box with my commonly used launching gear in it. before I load up the cooler and water toys I grab the box, put the key in the ign, put the plug in and start the blower. I also check the prop to be double sure, and remove the transom straps and the outdrive support. all goes into the box. keeps me organized and I always check the box before I leave home

If I didnt do that, it would be bad news! I am very very forgetful!!

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an army green box as well. Saves me alot of hassle.

Although I did forget the plug one time a couple of years ago.:D

Everybody gets one!

Triton II

Commander

Although I did forget the plug one time a couple of years ago.:D Everybody gets one!

That's the absolute truth. There are those that have forgotten the plug and those that will! :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We have all done these things, myself included. The big thing is to learn from it so you do not repeat the same thing.:)

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Having lost my key once going to the launch ramp , I now have a second key taped in a secure place on the boat ...The only way I will loose the key is if the boat sinks and the key will be the last of my worries . I now put my boat key , registration on a plastic canaber that I attach to the throttle before I leave !

Never took the dunk at the ramp but at my dock on a hot summer day after polishing the boat I did do an endo into the water trying to retie the bow ... a few beers might have helped :eek:

Triton II

Commander

SHT experience... don't let your transponder type car key get wet. Your tow car will not start!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

That's a scary thought about those transponder keys.

Rowroy, good thing you had a paddle. you wouldn't believe the number of SH's* who don't have one, especially on boats >20'.

Lesson learned: don't untie a boat unless the motor is running. Exception is a warmed-up motor, on-shore breeze, or no current/wind and a paddle/shove pole. I always act as if my motor won't start, and with my cranky old equipment the odds are with me!

I was by myself at a remote area, launching at low tide so I had to tie the boat to the dock and pull the trailer out from under it (rollers). As I drove forward, the bow line caught on the trailer and popped. I watched from my rearview as the boat launched and drifted away from the pier. It was shallow ( but winter and deep mud bottom) so I pole-vaulted with my shove pole onto the bow of the boat from the end of the pier. Done it once; not to be repeated.

I usually leave my keys on the boat but my ignition is up high and I get nervous trailering on the highway, with the float flapping, so I drop them in the well under the steering wheel. But they are always on board, excpet where moored where there is a security concern or curious young uns about.

*Stupid Humans, not S' Heads.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too keep a spare set of boat (and truck) keys in a secure (but quickly assessable) spot on the boat. I've never lost a set of keys (yet) but have seen it at least 1/2 dozen times by my friends.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

reminds me of when i was a kid- our family went on a camping/ fishing trip with another family about 150 miles away to Toledo Bend - largest lake in Texas- and my dad left the boat keys back at our house- he drove home and back to get them though.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

almost feel bad for you guys losing keys and whatnot on trailerable boats. Then I remember that I have no choice but to leave my boat at the marina for the winter and pay a ton of money to do so.

I keep one of my keys on the boat, the other is on my belt with the rest of my keys. If Im at the boat, I always have at least one.