How to Install a Floor in a 14ft Row Boat

calmwaters13

Cadet
Was planning to just buy a new boat this spring, but I already have a 17footer and a mint condition 1995 Starcraft SF 14S row boat fishing boat. This is a 14'3 V-Hull row boat with standard bench seats. My plan is to somehow install flooring in the areas between the bench seats to make it a little more comfortable to fish and move around. Only issue is how to do this.

I thought of possibly cutting marine grade plywood to size between each bench seat(rear and front areas). Once this is cut I would then sand the edges at the proper angle to lay flush to the aluminum. Then I would then cut supports to run across the bottom of the floor under the plywood flooring for both support and balance. I can then cover the plywood with carpeting. I would only do this for the area in the rear of the boat and the front to limit the amount of added weight to the vessel, I dont want to weigh her down, this shouldnt be much of a weight increase.

Any ideas guys, looking for a solution to this. My only other option if a floor cannot be installed is to lay standard marine vinyl over the aluminum floor, is this a good idea or should I not opt for applying the vinyl directly to the aluminum floor.

Any info would be awesome......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to Install a Floor in a 14ft Row Boat

i have done just what you are talking about, with 1/2 inch exterior plywood. cut to fit, attach strips to the under side for support. painted with non skid paint. the laid loose, because you are eventually going to drop your favorite lure, or something into a crack. makes it really easy to remove then, and wash down the boat. when not in use keep the boat covered. the panels are out in this picture.

a simple pvc tent frame makes covering really easy, then it is clean loaded and ready to fish.

MVC-905S-2.jpg

plan.jpg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Plug your post title into the Search function for this forum...there's a gillion threads/ideas for what you want to do.

tmitchell5188

Seaman

Interesting.... I'm planning on doing the same thing right after I replace my transom. I'll post pictures when I finish.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer

I'm doing the exact same thing right now. I've got one section of floor in. I riveted some small pieces of aluminum angle to the sides of the seats and I'm running stringers across and letting them sit on the angle. Then I cut a piece of exterior plywood to fit on top.

You can take a look at some photos here.

Like I said, I only have one section of floor in but standing on that and walking around the best I can on my trailer, I dont feel any bounce in the floor. I'm going to use some little cleats to hold the floor down but make it easy to remove to clean and such.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

make a cardboard cut out to get the exact shape you need for the wood support.

You could run wood across the width of the floor, or you could run a piece of wood down the center of the hull. from front to back.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have done just what you are talking about, with 1/2 inch exterior plywood. cut to fit, attach strips to the under side for support. painted with non skid paint. the laid loose, because you are eventually going to drop your favorite lure, or something into a crack. makes it really easy to remove then, and wash down the boat. when not in use keep the boat covered. the panels are out in this picture.

a simple pvc tent frame makes covering really easy, then it is clean loaded and ready to fish.

MVC-905S-2.jpg

plan.jpg

Great idea with the PVC.