Steering problems

Eliminator

Cadet
I have a 19' Eliminator inboard ski boat and when I am cruising along straight and want to turn it takes greater force on the wheel to get past center and then it feels like the rudder moves too much as the boat makes an abrupt turn that you have to catch. I figured steering gear and replaced the Teleflex single cable with a U-flex Acura but same thing. I am overlooking somthing but what. Should I go dual cable or hydraulic? Or is there something else that is causing this? Thanks!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering problems

what type helm does it have? that the cable connect to. any slop in the rudder connection.

Eliminator

Cadet

I put in an U-flex Acura that is supposed to be a zero feedback system. Seems with the design you have to move the wheel an inch or so before the cable even moves. However the Teleflex did the same thing. Rudder linkage is new, Heim joint. Little slop in rudder but not much.

tashasdaddy

yes, a no- feed back you have to turn a little to activate the helm. some just don't like it. takes some getting use to. you probably had a no-feedback teleflex helm also.

tashasdaddy

i would have thought, that boat would have come with hydrolic steering.

Bondo

Staff member

Little slop in rudder but not much.

Ayuh,...

I would think that's the place to start looking for a Problem,....

Eliminator

Cadet

Is the rudder just brass to stainless or are there any bushings? HDPE or teflon? At the end, or bottom of the rudder, about 13" from the hull i can get about 1/16" of an inch out of it sideways.

Eliminator

Cadet

So a double cable helm would have like a T tiller and single L. I would think double rack should give you pretty good steer feel. It really seems to be compressing the holding action on one side of center and the springing back to the other extent. While not perfect the 1/16" at 12 inches? Whatever it takes I'll fix it however linkage and rudder shaft slack does not explane it. I can understand some spring or torque release with the extra push required. Like I saie there is a delay with cable hooked up to nothing and it's brand new.

Eliminator

Cadet

Yeah, once the rudder reaches the transition point it seems to make an exagerated movement or abrubt turn, like way more input than you intended.

Eliminator

Cadet

It's like the force of the water on the rudder moves the rudder to the extent of play (however they work the no feedback brake) the oposite direction. Everything works fine other than the transition from right to left or left to right.