Will not shut off by key

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice
my 95 evinrude ocean pro 175 just developed this problem . it starts runs fine and has no issues other than it will not shut off. i checked the lanyard and disabled it ran it to a toggle to shut it oiff for the time being so i could use the boat . but it does not always work. sometime it will just shut out the port side fire to the plugs . and it will run on caucing me to have to choke it . is there anyway to check the wiring to the switch . the charging system works fine and motor runs like a champ just have the shut off issue, the kill switch has 2 black/yellow wires and 1 black wire the black is not hooked up . just put the two black and yellow wires to the togle and sometimes it will shut off others it wont. also every once and a while it will shock th ehell out of you . i am leading to a ground situation. also the tach doesnt work i have power on the purple ground on the black and the gray is the sender. every once and a while it will flicker and try to work . but agai , wiring issues. thanks for any help in advance

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Will not shut off by key

coukd be a timing problem, does it idle well, or could be break , dirty connection in kill circuit. or bad ignition switch. time to trouble shoot.

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Will not shut off by key

fixed it today black and yellow wires were reversed at power pack , switched them and everything is perfect starts and shuts off like a charm, what a mess that was. thanks for all the help.