89 OMC Cobra 5.7 Noise when turned hard right and hard left

i_build

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it normal for there to be a slight rumbling when the steering wheel is turned to the extreme right or extreme left or is it an indication of something wrong.

Also... (it's not in the title) but I removed an old flapper that had been stuck in the exhaust bellows but now that the boat is in the water I'm not seeing any exhaust coming out of the prop. It all seems to be coming out of the bellows.... Is that right?

I'm pretty new to the I/O scene. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 89 OMC Cobra 5.7 Noise when turned hard right and hard left

or is it an indication of something wrong.

Ayuh,... That would indicate that the Gimbel Bearing, and/ or the U-joints are Failing....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the outdrive hasn't been pulled and the ujoints, gimbal bearing, alignment, and condition of the bellows hasn't been checked lately, now would be the time to start looking. If you find anything in the bellows besides grease from the gimbal bearing, you have problems.
Time to start doing some inspecting.

Also... (it's not in the title) but I removed an old flapper that had been stuck in the exhaust bellows but now that the boat is in the water I'm not seeing any exhaust coming out of the prop. It all seems to be coming out of the bellows.... Is that right?

There are idle relief ports designed into the transom shield that allow most of the exhaust out before it gets to the prop when at idle. It's designed that way.

i_build

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Would it be too much of a risk to use it gently till I can build up repair fund over the next 2 months? She doesnt seem to make any noise when not turned hard in either direction.

Sorry Don I didnt see your post before I submitted.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would it be too much of a risk to use it gently till I can build up repair fund over the next 2 months?

No problem, just never exceed 750 rpm.