Is $4000 for a 1989 VIP Vision 1700 too much?

jkboliphant

Cadet
Hello all,

Let me begin by saying that I am new to boating but have been looking at many many boats online. I came across this one it has a 2.3L 4 Cylinder Ford with a Cobra Outdrive that runs strong. The interior was redone 2 years ago and is flawless. 4000 for this seems a little high to me but then again I am not real sure what I am lookign at. A second qustion I am also curious about is that I want to make sure that I can Wakeboard behind whatever I get and the seller says that he was able to get up without a problem. I have read on other forums that it is smart to have closer to 200HP for an I/O to pull skiers and wakeboarders. Any information is greatly appreciated.

winfan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is $4000 for a 1989 VIP Vision 1700 too much?

Howdy and welcome to the iboats and the VIP section.

I brought my 1988 Vision last year for $3000. Same engine and out drive as yours. Some people say that I spent too much and some say I got a great deal. With me I feel I did good. In fact just finished having my boat completely serviced and totally regone over by my local boat mechanic. He was impressed with the boat and how "Mainly" it was taken care of. Of course there were some issues but nothing major. Yes my interior is in need of work, but that will come eventually. Just make sure that the OMC Cobra is well taken care of. Parts are available but some people say because they went out of business that is an issue. A Cobra will last forever if taken care of. That is what my mechanic told me and I feel good about it. But some just continue to bash OMC. I am not an advocate of any type because I am new to the boating world.

Now for wakeboarding. YES you can, as the new saying says. Now I am by no means a small guy and I had three others aboard my boat and my son who is about 6' and 150 pulled right up. Now I am not saying that it is easy as my buddies 5.7 Merc or my other buddies 4.3 OMC but it works. For my first boat I am happy with her. Also remember that 2.3L uses so much less fuel. In a typical weekend of use with my buddies I smiled as they seemed to continue to refuel as I spent time on the lake. Now for sure you will not break any speed records but hey, that is not why I was looking for an open bow boat.

Now as for the Price, I guess I will say that is up to you, but before you buy take the boat for a run and have someone that "Knows" boats go over it with you. $4000 does seem high but I guess from what I have learned it is how you feel in the end.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Warren

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

Yes thats way too much.With todays economy,there are going to be alot of people selling their toys as they scale back.There will be some sweet deals out there, as cash is king.Don't be afraid to walk away if an owner isn't willing to negoitate.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree to wait for that "great" deal.

I searched for over 6 months on Craigslist for a Center Console from OR, WA & CA to TX and finally found one 100 miles from home.
I negotiated with the seller who was asking $8K on a 2001 VIP Bay Stealth Center Console 1880 with 45 hours for over two months before he accepted my offer of $6K. Center Console in this condition goes for priemium price here.

Attachments

• 353128804.jpg
    353128804.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0