1974 steering cables

jrfan88

Recruit
i have a 1974 rinkerbuilt 17 foot aluminum with a 70 johnson. The steering is hard to turn. i know i have a cable system, are these easy to repair? do i need to know the full measurements of the cable (diameter, fitting sizes etc..)? and what do i need to look for in a new cable? Thanks for the help

chiefalen

Captain
Re: 1974 steering cables

Welcome aboard !

I replaced my steering cable on my 76' Evinrude 2 years ago. Same motor, the cable is standard and still available everywhere.

Take it off and over to the local dealer and match it up and install it. I put a new helm in at the same time.

I think the whole business was 175 bucks, under 200 for sure.

PS you got your moneys worth out of the old one. And it will get harder to steer till it snaps or breaks.

Good luck !

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there should be a number on the sheath of the cable, that is replacement #.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Have you confirmed that the problem is with the cable, and not with the motor pivot? Disconnect the mtor from the cable and try to turn the steering wheel. If it is the problem, you will likely end up replacing the whole system. it seems like it is difficult to get a replacement cable, these days. Luckily the whole R&P system was $25 more than just the cable.