Staff member
Re: Mercruiser locked up

Ayuh,..

Pull the Spark Plugs...
Pull the Outdrive...

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im no expert, but i would pull the spark plugs and spray a good bit of PB blaster into the cylinders for a start

jasoninsane123

Seaman Apprentice

alright i will try this i heard puting some transmission fluid in the pistons eats away the rust is this true ??

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well, since I am no expert either...
I would...
Go to ADULTS ONLY section & download my manual.

Do a "SEARCH FORUM" to find out if there were any threads/posts regarding a locked up mercruiser.(there is trust me I know firsthand! lol)

Finally I would say WELCOME ABOARD!

chiefalen

Captain

Do a search of locked up seized motors. There must be a 100.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286073&highlight=motor+locked+up

It helps to use the advanced search and search just this forum, since this is where the guys that really know their stuff hang out...

Also, what CSI have you done to know it's frozen? could be anything from the starter to bad battery cables..I learned the hard way that less info equals less answer..Help em to help you in a nutshell.

jasoninsane123

Seaman Apprentice

i took the starter to a shop they tested it and it passed when i turn the key it clicks and just Hits hard and stops and i can see the motor turn A little bit

Thanks cheap for the link

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

alright i will try this i heard puting some transmission fluid in the pistons eats away the rust is this true ??

Uh... NO.

There is no petroleum product that "eats" rust.

The only way to dissolve rust is to use an acid. (but that'll cause other problems worst than rust!)

If you read the thread above, the rust (iron oxide) will act like an abrasive no matter how much oil or diluted oil you dump in and reduce the life of the engine even if you do free it up (until the filter traps the rust)

Your best bet (if you want the engine to last as long as possible) is to remove the drive, follow the above advice, and if it is indeed "rusty" inside, dissemble it and fix the rusty parts and reassemble.

The more you grind rusty cyls against pistons/rings, the more damage you do.....

Cheers,

Rick

jasoninsane123

Seaman Apprentice

yeah i saw that it was mercuriser with a yamaha outdrive i was like what the heck hehe

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well, if you didn't pay much (or anything for the boat) and it's otherwise in fairly good shape, you could find an ALPHA gimbal and associated parts on ebay, and then get yourself a Sterndrive Engr drive. This way you "upgrade" yourself to an easily supportable engine/drive combo....

If the Yamaha thing is in working condition it's probably worth something to someone that needs one.

Otherwise it's going to be somewhat painful......

jasoninsane123

Seaman Apprentice

yeh only paid 800 for a 1992 cant think of the name of the boat but it starts with a r and its a cabin cruiser and its in really good shape

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeh only paid 800 for a 1992 cant think of the name of the boat but it starts with a r and its a cabin cruiser and its in really good shape

One of my favorite sayings is.

A FREE boat is the most expensive boat you can own.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Lol at Don's comment!

Probably a Reinall? Spelling is off, but so am I.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Lol at Don.....

I'll be laughing WITH Don on this one. :cool: ......as usual, he's right.

Oh, and Don, made a stop at KTN yesterday.... It was just as you left it......cold, and rain/snow blowing sideways!

Status
Not open for further replies.