1976 parts for a 1972?

I have a 1972 Johnson (25E72R) and have a problem with the clutch dog and or the forward gear. I've been putting it off due to the cost, but I recently found a friend that has a 1976 lower end that I can get for $50. I did some searches on here, but I couldn't find anything about the compatibility of the parts.

Also, I don't have a repair manual and didn't really feel like paying for one:(. Is there a website that has them for free to download?

Maybe someone has seen a clutchdog replacement step by step online?

Just trying to save a couple bucks so I can spend more on gas!:D

Thanks

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1976 parts for a 1972?

check out shopevinrude.com and compare your parts

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's the price, any where you go. there are no online manuals, so if you want your motor running. get out the check book. no one ever said boating was cheap. the word is just not in a boats vocabulary.

p1k3

Cadet

that's the price, any where you go. there are no online manuals, so if you want your motor running. get out the check book. no one ever said boating was cheap. the word is just not in a boats vocabulary.

Well... I don?t wanna rain on your parade Tashasdaddy. I totally agree on the no cheap boating thing. But did you know Google scans a sh*tload of books and put them out there for free??! [EDIT: well.. not entirely true.. there are certainly limited versions on many of them. But you can read a lot and there are links where to buy them. I?ve read that they (Google) are cutting deals all the time with publicists to let them free for the web).

Try this: http://books.google.com/books?hl=sv&q=johnson+outboard&btnG=S%C3%B6k+i+b%C3%B6cker

Amazing.. ;)

Thats what I figured....I know boating isn't cheap! Trust me!:D

do you recommend any one brand of manual over another? Or website to order them from?

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

clymer and seloc are crap..............too vague and cover too many models.

a good one will run around $100..............factory manual is the best way to go.

its like going to the parts store to buy one for your auto..................they are somewhat useful but are nothing like the real thing.

you can prob get one from this site.

you can go to googlebooks and get partials but a real one without pages missing is a must for a do it yourselfer...........but they are the imitations

get a real one not an imitation!!!!!

is there any way to tell if my outboard is a long or short shaft. I think its a long, but I really can't remember. The model is 25E72R and the serial is E3611552.

Also, while I'm putzing around with the lower end should I look into replacing the water pumps and seals. Let me know if you think it would be worthwhile for a motor I'm going to be holding on to for awhile.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you can measure form the atni-ventilation plate to the top of the mounting bracket.

i would guess its a 15" shaft and has elec start

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think that the long shaft model number was 25EL72. Your's is standard unless it was modified. The long shaft model has a 5" extension between the gearcase and the midsection.