83 evinrude 70hp

pt3102

Recruit
I am a new boat owner. I have been given a 15' mako w 70hp evinrude 83 model. I had it checked out by my local repair shop. After going through the motor, they tell me it's going to throw a rod soon. The mechanic said it's not worth putting any money into the motor. My question, i am fairly adept at mechanics but not on boats. I have a friend who would help. If I did the work myself, could I get parts, what would i need to replace and what would be an approximate cost to rebuild. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 83 evinrude 70hp

Just how in heck does one determine that a 2 stroke engine with needle bearings in steel rods is "going to throw a rod soon"??

I think someone wants to sell you a new engine.

You need a second opinion derived from running the engine under load and done by someone who does not stand to profit from a diagnosis.

pt3102

Recruit

I appreciate the reply. I apologize for not giving more info. The mechanic took the boat to the river and that's where they made the determination that it might throw the rod. The mechanic said under load the motor is making a terrible rattling noise. Thanks again for the reply.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

its hard to judge the cost of a rebuild until you get inside the motor.

need pistons--dont need pistons

need crank tuned---need new crank

these are the most expensive parts of the rebuild..........besides the $80 per hr the shop will charge.

i would look around for a good motor and do the proper checks before you buy it ::::::spark, compression, working vro or already set up for pre mix, water contamination in the lower unit.

i think there is more about this in the faqs