Locating a hole in fiberglass runabout.

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 15ft fiberglass runabout. It has a false floor ie their is a space between the main floor of the boat and the bottom of the boat that has a seperate bung plug.

In my last couple of outings I have noticed this filling up with a lot of water. Does this mean I have a hole in the boat? If so, how do I find out where the hole is (no obvious cracks or anything)?

BTW, I have a live bait tank and some water spills over into the main part of the boat so I suppose some of this could leak down into the section underneath but I don't think it would be enough to cause this amount of water. Also, I have a number of screws in the back of the boat holding on the sounder transducer etc.

Thanks so much for any help in advance :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Locating a hole in fiberglass runabout.

make sure the live well is not leaking. if it leaks in, it should leak out. put some water into the boat.

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice Tashasdaddy.

I really don't think it is the bait tank though. I have drain plugs on the tank that take overflow water into the engine well. However, when i'm running over chop some water splashes out into the floor of the boat. But when I took out the bung plug for the area under the flow, water drained out for like 15 minutes.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

make sure the live well is not leaking. if it leaks in, it should leak out. put some water into the boat.

what he said, fill the bilge up with water and look underneath.

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, thanks,

I'll do test and post back with the results.

Thanks guys.