Register Dinghy

pvanv

Admiral
For a boat tender, is it still possible to put the mother vessel's state numbers on the dinghy, followed by a suffix (I think it used to be you added a T to the end)?

eg: NY 7251 BX T

Someone suggested that the proper way now is to add a suffix numeral 1

No sure...

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Register Dinghy

Each state has their own requirements, I would highly recommend checking with the state you currently have your boat located. In Georgia the registration numbers would be different on a dinghy then you have on your vessel. Also in our state if its under 16ft and without propulsion they are exempt.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think all states they get separate numbers, this is for theft reasons.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Vessels used solely as tenders with motors smaller than 10hp do not need to be registered per federal law. Not all states recognize this however. Check your local regs to make sure.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not all states recognize this however. Check your local regs to make sure.

MOST states require a separate registration for any boat with a motor even if it's an auxilliary motor. Many states exempt any boat that does not have any means of mechanical propulsion such as row boats or sailboats with no aux engine.

The federal "tender" rule only applies to "documented vessels" I would guess that not many of us on this board own a vessel that would qualify for "documentation" under federal law. Most states DO recognize the federal documentation but do not recognize the tender exemption unless it's already exempt under state law. All foreign contries that I ever visited afloat are bound by treaty to recongnize it...

State's rights don't cha know! The right to get their fair share of your money in taxes......errrr I mean "fees" LOL

mthieme

Captain

Can't speak for NY, MD requires registration for anything with a motor.
Used to be 7.5hp and over.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's about $21 per year in NY for a small boat. I do not know of any exceptions for a dingey used as a tender.

pvanv

Admiral

MOST states require a separate registration for any boat with a motor even if it's an auxilliary motor. Many states exempt any boat that does not have any means of mechanical propulsion such as row boats or sailboats with no aux engine.

The federal "tender" rule only applies to "documented vessels" I would guess that not many of us on this board own a vessel that would qualify for "documentation" under federal law. Most states DO recognize the federal documentation but do not recognize the tender exemption unless it's already exempt under state law. All foreign contries that I ever visited afloat are bound by treaty to recongnize it...

State's rights don't cha know! The right to get their fair share of your money in taxes......errrr I mean "fees" LOL

This I understand. But if it's a tender to a documented vessel, is it OK to run with no numbers at all? I know that in NY, if the dink isn't motorized, I don't need NY numbers. However, I was told that I could get by, by adding a "T" after the mother vessel's number on the tender if it has an under-10 hp aux.

I think the original federal law called for a suffix of "1" after the numbers. Another good question would be that if it needs a suffix, would you use the Documentation number, or the NY number? In NY, you don't have to display the state number on the mother vessel if it's documented, though you do need to pay the 3-year registration fee (the state getting its pound of tax) and they give you a card with the NY numbers on it -- even though you are not forced to display them on the mother vessel.

Maybe something like NY 7251 BX -T would be appropriate for the dink...

Asking the NYS DMV is a problem, since the clerks are geared toward land vehicles. They just assume that any "boat" registration is for a 30-foot ski boat that needs numbers. The clerks really don't know their own rules, and certainly don't understand federal maritime law.

Bondo

Staff member

However, I was told that I could get by, by adding a "T" after the mother vessel's number on the tender if it has an under-10 hp aux.

Ayuh,..

Here in New York state,..
Any vessel that has Any power other than human power, Must be registered,+ display it's #s....

Whether it's your Dingy, or my Canoe,... Electric or Gas,.. It Has to be registered...

pvanv

Admiral

Except that documented vessels don't have to display NY numbers. We have lots of these at this end of the state, and Law Enforcement leaves them alone, except to see that they have the square "tax paid, 3-year registration in effect" sticker with the punched hole for the month. So I was wondering if that could also be applied to the tender for a documented vessel...

Bondo

Staff member

So I was wondering if that could also be applied to the tender for a documented vessel...

As I said,.... No...

The Dingy is Not a documented vessel...

New York sees it as a Separate vessel,... Not just an accessory....

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been busted in NY several times for either not having numbers on the tender or being registered. 8ft tender with a 3hp motor.

pvanv

Admiral

I have been busted in NY several times for either not having numbers on the tender or being registered. 8ft tender with a 3hp motor.

Was it a stiff fine?