Outdrive stuck up

wishihad

Seaman
Ok, I'm posting for a friend so I'm sketchy on the details but here's what I know. He has a 18' bayliner cuddy with a 4.6l merc I/O, and i think an Alpha 1. He store it on his lift with the drive full up and now it will not go back dowm. He says it moves a bit and makes some noise but, otherwise nothing. He also mentioned that he read somewhere not to store the drive this way as it may "freeze" so does anyone know why its stuck and how ro fix it?
Thanks
Sorry for the lack of detail.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Outdrive stuck up

does anyone know why its stuck and how ro fix it?

Why? No. But fixing it may be as simple as getting a "hefty" friend to stand on it while you use the trim button. It is probably just stuck. Once it gets going it will probably be fine. Believe it or not, that's not too uncommon. ;)

wishihad

Seaman

I gave him the same advise and he tried it with his wife, standing on the outdrive that is, while she hit the trim but it did not "break" free. I

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bounce on the drive, that usually helps.

A quick hint you can give your friend to prevent this in the future. When the drive is put clear up against the stops and the system pressurizes, then stays that way for a while, they will stick.
In the future, once the drive is full up, just hit the down button to releive the pump pressure.

Also, check your PM (Private messages)

wishihad

Seaman

Why? No. But fixing it may be as simple as getting a "hefty" friend to stand on it while you use the trim button. It is probably just stuck. Once it gets going it will probably be fine. Believe it or not, that's not too uncommon. ;)

Port Charlotte you say. I lived there a few ten years back. Lived in Punta Gorda, really miss Harpon Harry's!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yep - Fisherman's Village is a nice place there in Punta Gorda!