Mercury 150, no spark on 2 cylinders

seafox 59

Recruit
I have twin 2003 150 mercury, carburated outbords. The starboard engine has no spark on cylinders 2 and 5. CDM and controller are not the problem, i switched cdm with other cylinders and the problem does not follow. Is the next thing to check the trigger switch and how complicated is that?

Last edited:

dadgummit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercury 150, no spark on 2 cylinders

Do a search for trigger problems.

seafox 59

Recruit

how do you search for trigger problems?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a blue horizontal bar towards the top of this thread that contains a link titled "Search" in white letters. When you click on this link, you have the option of entering your search criteria in a white box and clicking "Go" or your can click on the "advanced" link. I suggest clicking on the "advanced" link, as you will get another screen that provides various search options. As to search criteria, I suggest "trigger problem" or just "trigger". you will find plenty of posts to read through. Good luck.

j_martin

Admiral

The trigger actually has 3 winding in it. Each one fires two cylinders opposite each other in timing. 2 & 5 would be on one winding.

If either connection (trigger to 2 or 5) is bad, it would cause both cylinders to misfire.

Check out the trigger connections by ohming 1-4, 2-5, and 3-6. They should all be about the same. (disconnect the wires when you test, of course.)

hope it helps
John