MerCruiser shifting problem???

I have a 120 HP 4 cylinder mercruiser serial #2055736. Im not sure what model the outdrive is but the serial # on it is 2072395. This is on a 1967 Chrysler Courier 229. I bought it a couple of months back and it has trouble shifting. When going into forward you have to push the throttle handle so far that the rpm raise up before it shifts. In revers it is the same way but you can hear the unit trying to shift but it wont quite catch until the rpm's raise. Then the last trip out I couldn't get forward at all so i tried adjusting the shift linkage but I couldn't get it. One way I adjusted it I couldn't get it out of reverse. the other way I couldn't catch forward or reverse. All the adjustment I made were in the engine compartment not in the shift/throttle handle. Is there more adjustment in the handle or is this more likely to be a stern drive problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MerCruiser shifting problem???

You have a Mercruiser One Drive (not to be confused with an Alpha I.
The most common cause of your problem is a worn out lower shift cable. They get grooves worn in them and the cable ends up with too much travel to reach either gear.
Another problem could be a worn shift spool inside the lower unit.

Might head up the the Adults only sticky and download Merc Service manual #1 which covers your engine and drive.