compressed primer bulb????

SKIZZ

Recruit
I have a 1984 charger boat with a 120 johnson VRO V4 dont know the year of the motor, the mod# is J1A0TLC0 and the ser# G&Q27834. the VRO system has been removed and i mix the gas in the main tank. The last owner let the boat set for awile. After reparing the stering cabel and having the motor worked on it runs great. I took it out on Saturday and ran it for about 1 and 1/2 hrs without a problem. On my way back to the marina it died???. I lifted the back hatch and discovered that the primer bulb was compressed. no gas was getting to the motor, very strange. I remover the gas line at the tank and the primer bulb went back to normal. started up and went about 1/4 mile and it happened again.after repeating the procedure about 6 times i made it back to the marina. any help on the year of the motor and the primer bulb problem would be very helpful.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: compressed primer bulb????

sounds like a clogged pick up tube in the tank, bad antisiphon valve, or a clogged vent for the fuel tank. the problem is between the bulb and the vent.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Thats a 1985 model but the number should read J120TLCO if its a 120 hp.

CO are the date letters for 1985

As TD says either a blocked fuel pick up or the tank not venting. Make sure the vent is open and clear .... will it run with the cap off?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Cap off good point, that would directly lead to the vent.

SKIZZ

Recruit

thanks for the info. i tried the ideas you gave. Tried it out today and it seems to be working fine. THANKS!!!!