motor for 12 ft. zodiac

ak bike

Recruit
I have a 2002 mk 2c classic zodiac . 12 ft 4 inches I think. I have been running a 15 hp Johnson 2 cycle. I would like to increase the power to 25 hp . I am looking at various makes of 4 cycles . I would appreciate any info on a good hp for this boat and motor mfgs . I am looking at possibly a tohatsu. We use the boat for fishing and just running around. it will be hauled on a trailer. Appreciate any input .

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: motor for 12 ft. zodiac

Hello and welcome to iboats what is your boat max HP rating? you should get at least 70% of that 25HP 4 strokes is a heavy motor I would get a 2 strokes instead

ak bike

Recruit

Kandil thanks for the reply, The boat is rated for a hi recommended of 25 hp . I would like 4 cycle as there are some spots that won't allow 2 cycles. I have been using a 15 hp 2 cycle on 12 zodiacs since 1984 and never tried more hp . The 15 is ok but a little more power would be nice . Wondering if anyone has a 20 hp 4 cycle on the 12 footer and can comare it with the 15 ... Thanks again

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A 20 HP 4 strokes engine will be perfect in weight and performance for that sib.

Happy Boating

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Some of the new 2 strokes run cleaner than the 4 strokes and you can check with your local ranger about it I think the out board has to be EPA approved for example; Evinrude's E-TEC won the Clean Air Excellence Award from the US EPA in April 2005. The E-TEC two-stroke outboard engine carbon monoxide emissions are typically 30 to 50 percent lower than a similar four-stroke engine and, at idle, are lower by a factor of 50 to 100 times

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Etec has just brought out a 25 dfi 2 stroke meets or exceeds all CARB specs
There is a test on the etec sight for a 12ft Nautica ,26 mph with about 1,000 total weight. Etec 25 as tested 177 lbs.I think electric start and remote.
Etecs are on official boats on Lake Tahoe which has restricted acess.

ak bike

Recruit

Thanks to you folks for the input on my question about an OB for our zodiac . Got a while before its boating time for most of us in alaska .

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Not with a global warming the season may be sooner than you expect it:D

marcus3

Recruit

The 25 hp Tohatsu would be fine for the Mk IIC, though you should be aware that the engine weight at the transom will be a little greater than what the original design of the boat was designed to carry. As a result, you might want to invest in a set of trim tabs for the boat or a whale-fin for the cavitation plate of the engine. Both (or either) will help counteract the tendency of the stern to dig down in sub-planing conditions, and markedly increase top end performance.

A better solution might be the new 20 hp Tohatsu (replaces the older 18 hp). It weighs 40 pounds less than the 25, should still push the boat at 18+ knots, and will cost quite a bit less than the 25.