Air Gun for Compressor

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
When I got my air compressor many years ago I got an unrestricted air gun. It lasted many years and finally gave out. All I see now are these OSHA restricted guns which limit the pressure. Any idea where I can get one of the old unrestricted ones?

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Air Gun for Compressor

I'm sure you could modify one. It is most likely a simple matter of orifice size.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

more air drill out the nozzle. more pressure, get a plug to fit, and drill out the size you want.

mthieme

Captain

That must have been decades ago. I was a mechanic in 70's & 80's. I had 'restricted' guns then. They posed no problems though. If you run tino something that the gun won't handle, you need a bigger gun.

chiefalen

Captain

Did you take it apart and see what broke??

If you don't think you can fix it look up a guy who fixes compressors, he would probably fix it. They are fixable. Maybe it's just the trigger or something simple.

That gun is from the 60's and my uncle has a few and has not used them cause he is retired but refuses to give them up. But he said they are willed to me, tough old bird he's still around, and i didn't want them that way.

mthieme

Captain

The tool trucks carry parts for them...vane kits, etc.
Might be a little tough finding a kit from the 60's though.

chiefalen

Captain

Bet they are not that much different from todays guns and maybe the maker is still in business. Take it apart and see, whats to lose.

mthieme

Captain

I was going to suggest something similiar.
The vanes could be easily sanded to fit what he has, other than that, it's o-rings and an odd gasket or two.

chiefalen

Captain

Thats it, i am so used to fixing my own tools, i don't even think about it, drills and such, just second nature i guess.

Drills i just take apart and fix the trigger, cause most of he time it's just a connection, or electric motors most times the ends of the wiring is rusted and just a snip and adjustment it's good to go another 10 years.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thats it, i am so used to fixing my own tools, i don't even think about it, drills and such, just second nature i guess.

Drills i just take apart and fix the trigger, cause most of he time it's just a connection, or electric motors most times the ends of the wiring is rusted and just a snip and adjustment it's good to go another 10 years.

Fixing that kind of item is probably one of the most environmentally friendly things you can do in this age of disposable everything....as well as being financially friendly....and you get to thumb your nose at modern manufactures who are making it harder and harder to do repairs ....tougher to get parts....getting the tools apart is not as easy; molded casings that are glued together instead of bolted.. etc.
Everything Chiefalen mentioned is fairly low risk, but air tools need real care because of the extra hazards from compressed air.

solittle said:
When I got my air compressor many years ago I got an unrestricted air gun. It lasted many years and finally gave out. All I see now are these OSHA restricted guns which limit the pressure. Any idea where I can get one of the old unrestricted ones?

When you say "air gun" are you talking about what I call an "impact gun" which drives a rotary square headed output shaft that accepts sockets...or what I call an "air gun" which is a small attachment for an air line that has a trigger and just "sprays" compressed air....that you can use for cleaning etc. ?
I think people in this thread may be talking about both at the same time.
I would think the air gun/impact gun would be iffy to play around with and make modifications as it is comparatively complex.
The air gun/air gun is a pretty simple item and as TD says could likely be drilled out to allow a larger flow.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I assure you my air gun is not repairable/fixable or anything close. It was made by an unknown manufacturer probably 50-60 years ago.

I used it for many years and was quite satisfied with it.

So back to my original question - anyone know where I can get one (new/used) without the restriction?

This is for a 2 hp 125 psi home air compressor. I use it for cleaning, tires etc. It does not have the capacity to power air tools effectively but that is no problem for me.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I bought my last non-OSHA approved air gun at Lowes a few years back. Not sure if they still have both but may be worth a look.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The reason that OSHA restricted the guns was so that if you stuck in to your skin and pulled the trigger, you could not introduce air into your bloodstream through your skin. The blowguns that we use at my shop are still the same volume and pressure, but there is a conical tip that extends past the orifice so that you can't seal it against your skin. I think they actually move more air than our non-OSHA blow guns. I will look up the brand and model at work and post that up if you want.

ebry710

Ensign

If you are talking about a blowing unit, then I think you can get them at Harbor Freight. If those happen to be restricted then put a small ball value on a nipple and make one yourself. I actually like the ball valve control better then the push button. You can add any tip you want including a long tube.

I will also restate what flatheadlakemonster said.

The reason that OSHA restricted the guns was so that if you stuck in to your skin and pulled the trigger, you could not introduce air into your bloodstream through your skin. The blowguns that we use at my shop are still the same volume and pressure, but there is a conical tip that extends past the orifice so that you can't seal it against your skin. I think they actually move more air than our non-OSHA blow guns. I will look up the brand and model at work and post that up if you want.

204 Escape

Ensign

At Harbor Freight, I jsut purchased a non=restricted blower. THe blower, has a "twist" end on it like the old style garden hose nozzle. The cost was under $3.00

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are intererested, here is the gums that we use at my shop, I believe that it has OSHA stamped right on the handle, and there is no restricion in them at all.

th_100_0424.jpg

100_0425.jpg

100_0427.jpg

The last pid show the concial peice that I was talking about. It has somewhat of a venturi effect on the air. The actual air outlet is the black peice, so you can see that if you poked it onto your skin, the actual air aoutlet is like 3/4" from your skin. It works, I have tried, hehe

The part number is on the second pic, and the webiste for the company is www.acmeautomotive.com. Laters!