Flushing saltwater outboard with recycled water

CRC1081

Recruit
The summer here is quite dry and we collect our own water in a tank, this means that by end of summer non essential items don't get wet.

Flushing the outboard is somewhat essential but it also uses a lot of water. If I re-use the clothes washing water, will the phosphates(?) in the water from the washing detergent accelerate corrosion or do some other damage to the alloy?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flushing saltwater outboard with recycled water

Weren't phosphate detergents outlawed? Just thinking out loud.

gss036

Commander

Not everywhere, but have been outlawed here in our county. Bad part about flushing your outboard would be adding soap to the water near by . They were outlawed here because of they help algie grow.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it would be better than not flushing, but i think i would still want the final rinse. say after you bring the motor up to temperature.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Clothes washers last for years. Have steel, porcelan, rubber, plastic. The softeners in the detergent might even help in the flushing. I personally would not be concerned. Most important thing is the motor gets flushed. FRED

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeah, but have you ever seen the crap inside a washer pump. lint, etc. or sewer line.

mthieme

Captain

Good point, easily cured with a nylon or sock on the end of the water outlet hose.
I buy a product call Lint Snare in bulk.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i don't want to jump on anybody'e thread here but i bought some stuff for flushing salt from the engine at Academy that smells like laundry soap and where the water from the pee hole hits the ground it forms a pile of foam bubbles like soap does. so maybe what ever is in the salt flushing stuff isn't much differant than what would be in recycled laundry water.