1972 65HP Johnson. Lower removal.

James R

Commander
This is the Electric shift. How do I separate what I believe to be knife connectors on the shift control wires. Must be a little trick to it. Help please.
Thanks.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 1972 65HP Johnson. Lower removal.

Pull the rubber boot back to expose the connectors. Disconnect one wire at a time, by rotating the connectors into a "V" shape. The connectors clasp like a handshake, so you have to separate them from the "clasped" position. You'll see what I mean, once you get the left and right half of one wire in the "V" configuration.

James R

Commander

Thank you JM. Will do that first thing in the AM. Great forum and great membership.
Thanks a bunch.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a wooden dowel it push the grommet thru. besure to water they wires, they are very rare to replace, also the grommet needs to go back in place or you will get exhaust fumes, into the carbs, causing hard to trace problems.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Very true about the wires. The bulb on the upper end of the wire casing is not seated into the hole in the upper end of the exhaust housing on my motor, and I didn't want to tug on it due to age, so I used high temp silicon to create a seal around the casing. That has worked quite well - no fumes in the cowl and no performance problems.

James R

Commander

Thanks for all the help on this guys. I'm pulling the lower to see what we have.
This motor has been asleep a while.
You may recall I posted on extremely high comp's on this motor. I'm thinking that the bugs have nested and blocked the exhaust. Non of the oil that I put into the motor has appeared out of the prop. Will know soon enough.
Thanks again guys.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you have mud dauber wasps where you live, they could be your culprits. We have them in my area and I have to be careful of them all of the time. I have even found a fire extinguisher with a plugged up nozzle because of the wasps!

James R

Commander

Pulled the lower successfully thanks to your collective guidance. Looks good, no blockage. I figure that the bugs have blocked the exhaust box. Still no oil or anything else,just a little puff of vapor, from the housing. Compressions still show too high. Will pull the powerhead and the box but it will be some time before I can get to it.
Thanks guys.