Rear Casting Deck . Ideas?

Hobbes_24

Cadet
Hey

I am looking at modifying my rear bench to make it a full deck so the person im fishing with doesn't have to stand on a tiny bench.

I was thinking of building a frame with 2x4's but they are too bulky and would take up too much of the little space i have behind the bench. Would aluminum angle be a better soloution, If so then how would i attach it too the gunwall? I want the deck to be 2 large doors that i can open to remove my trolling motor batteries and the fuel tank for my outboard. I also have to think about clearance for the little box i made to control my nav. lights. (i went a little overboard with the size but i was thinking about adding controls for and aerators in my bait well and my portable live well.)

Where would be the best place to find some sort of handle for the hatches? I need some for the hatches i made in the front casting deck.

and where can I find Lettering to replace the Original SMOKER CRAFT letters on the hull. I want to repaint the outside black on top with white on bottom and a red pinstripe joining the two colors. Will keep same paint lines, just changing colors.

thanks for any input

Chris

PS: i just repainted the inside with "Armor Coat" exterior paint for metals. Anyone have any idea what the durability is of this paint on boats?

Attachments

• IMG00086-20090206-1834_edited-1.jpg
    IMG00086-20090206-1834_edited-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00087-20090206-1834.jpg
    IMG00087-20090206-1834.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00080-20090206-1832.jpg
    IMG00080-20090206-1832.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00084-20090206-1833.jpg
    IMG00084-20090206-1833.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00089-20090206-1835.jpg
    IMG00089-20090206-1835.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1

Hobbes_24

Cadet
Re: Rear Casting Deck . Ideas?

Sorry about the blurry pics i took them with my blackberry. It usually dose a better job than that.

jonesg

Admiral

I needed a splashwell so built a 3 sided version and added a platform on either side, glassed then non skid black tape, angled down towards the side for draining.
Battery fits under one side, vro tank on the other side. They are open underneath, no need for hatches. The tops lift off but they're pegged in place.

Attachments

• riviera.jpg
    riviera.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1

fontgeek

Recruit

If you can take a good clear photograph of the stern lettering, preferably from straight on, I can digitize the lettering for you so that you can have it clean and ready for a sign shop or local letterer. Right now, the image is a bit fuzzy, and it was taken from a bit of an angle.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used angle aluminum to put a front casting deck in a crestliner. i got it a one of the big box lumber yards. becuse of the angle of the gunnels the 90 degree angle wouldn't work. i followed the edge of the deck with uprights made from the angle to support a brace for the platform to bolt to. the overhang of the casting platform from the edge of the to the gunnel was at most 3 in. not enough of an area to flex or lose support. that way i didn't need a custom bent angle to match the angle of the gunnel to the floor or casting deck. and i didn't have a series of rivets to deal with on the outside of the hull. the rest of the frame work was arranged to accomodate the 2 hatches and a seat base to provide support and allow the open area i needed under the hatches. think of the platform as a table that is completly self supporting that you set into the boat and fasten down. the platform will provide stability to prevent the frame from flexing corner to corner, the uprights provide the vertical strength and (assuming it is fit correctly) gunnels will prevent any lateral movement. use pieces of the angle to make feet for your uprights so you have the weight distributed over a 3-4 in area and provide a mounting foot.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

marquette,
Do you have a picture of your casting deck?
It sounds interesting, since I want to create similar with my little mirrocraft 14.

ridesapaint

Seaman Apprentice

As far as the letting, you might be able to find the correct font and modify it with itallics and boldface etc at greatlettering.com and have them cut it. they have a wonderful customer support and the product is first rate. I got my boat name lettering from them twice, and as soon as my boat registrations expire i will be having them make me some custom registration numbers. the other option is find the manufacturer and get the original decal.

The bench or splashwell can be made with some 7-ply baltic birch found at woodworkers supply places and fiberglass it. it will be very light and stout if you make it like a cabinet. I was a fiberglass repair/damage controlman in the coast guard and i did a few odd things like modifying structures and filling bullet holes and such, and using good woodworking techniques and covering with a layer of cloth and resin is definately to way to go as far as cost vs quality is concerned.
good luck and have fun. oh, dont use paint thinner. lacquer thinner for cleaning and acetone for thinning and cleaning will do fine.

fishjefffish

Cadet

I got latches from gander mountain. They were about $5 each. They rest submurged in the deck, so no tripping over them.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hobbes- i don't have any pictures because i sold the boat. i know where it is so i could probably get pictures but i'm sure it is covered for the winter. i don't remember taking any pictures when i was working on the boat.

Hobbes_24

Cadet

Hey marquette, Thanks for the ideas.. I dont think i will have a problem riveting to the gunwall. They are pretty straight. But i will keep your designs in mind when i get a chance to start working more on the casting deck.

fishjefffish
I was looking at the latches on Bass Pro shops website. What do you think about the metal ring ones that are recessed.

and for lettering i think i will contact my local vynal guy. and see what his prices are like. I dont want to end up paying duty on the letters bringing them into canada.

Also on another note i am going to get my trailer line-x sprayed this weekend ill post pics as i go along with the process this weekend

Hobbes_24

Cadet
14 ft Smoker Craft Mod/Trailer rebuild

14 ft Smoker Craft Mod/Trailer rebuild

Hey,

I have stripped the trailer of all hardware, Just need to go over it with a scraper and a bit of sandpaper to remove the chipping brushed on paint. I cant wait to see it all fresh black bed liner on it. All new stainless hardware is being used and the crank and other parts that are not being line-xed will be sprayed gloss white, and the leaf springs and galv axle are going to be black. And I'm getting a new swivel jack for it because I need one for my other trailer so ill put a new one on here so all will look new and shiny .

Question on the bunks though. The boards that make them now are bowed and are pretty sad looking. When i replace them Should i Glass them? or is there another alternative water proofing i can do. I have never Glassed before and i have no clue how to mix resin. so hopefully there is an easy solution for me lol. I can however get help from my friend who has glassed before if necessary

Also What type of carpet should be used. Any indoor/outdoor? the black carpet on there now is about twice to 3 times the thickness of the in/out door carpet i used for the decking. (Which i have TONS of.)

thanks all

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG00099-20090211-1857.jpg
    IMG00099-20090211-1857.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00097-20090211-1806.jpg
    IMG00097-20090211-1806.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00100-20090211-1857.jpg
    IMG00100-20090211-1857.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00101-20090211-1857.jpg
    IMG00101-20090211-1857.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00102-20090211-1901.jpg
    IMG00102-20090211-1901.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

the bunks bow because of the carpet, get rid of the rug and use the slippery black plastic pads. Much easier to slide boat off and winch back on.