1991 200hp johnson stops like it's out of gas

joe c

Recruit
my motor is sometimes hard to start but even when it does i can be going wide open and it just stops like i run out of gas sometimes it starts back. can someone help?????

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 200hp johnson stops like it's out of gas

You aren't giving us much to go on. What have you checked so far? Does the engine quit like it is running out of gas or does it simply shut off like you turned off the key. If it surges a little before it dies it is a fuel system problem but that could be any one of a number of things. If you have someone with you when the problem occurs, have them squeeze the primer bulb a time or two before the engine dies. If it doesn't help then it may be an ignition problem. If the engine picks up it is a fuel problem.

joe c

Recruit

yes it's like you just turned the key off ,when we have been out on the water and it does this i usually have someone at the motor pushing the throtle while i turn the key untill it starts or the battery gives and then we troll in

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is the motor running hot? is the bulb on the fuel line, collasping? have you check for spark, immediately after it cuts off? these are the questions that need to be answered first.