Barnacle removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptkid570

Ensign
Hey all. This is going to be one of many posts.. just bought a project boat. It's a 1996 boat, but in terrible shape.

Question -- boat looks like it sat in the water a long time. Whien removed from the water, you can tell that there was a decent attempt at scraping off the barnacles. However, there are still portions of barnicles stuck to the hull. Probably dried there for a year now.

Any suggestions in how to remove these things? I know they'd tear the crap out of sandpaper. Most of the bottom paint is gone and if it will help it look better, I'll put bottom paint back on it "(even tough it will be trailered). Boat is curently on a trailer too.

I'm thinking I can maybe do some light grinding if I'm carefull and dont go into the getlcoat too much. It's not completely covered in barnacles, most of them seemed to have come off.

Oh - boat is a 1996 Four Winns Horizon 240 bowrider

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Barnacle removal

mask, googles, sanding, scraping works when still wet. start with some aggressive sand paper. then go back.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Sounds bad to say, but just as a test, I smacked one of them with a small brick when I was checking it out and what was left of the barnacle mostly fell off. So, I'm half thinking of a rubber mallot or lightly with a hamemer and just smush them some and see what happens..

Bondo

Staff member

I smacked one of them with a small brick

Ayuh,...

Sand it with your Brick 1st,.... Then sandpaper.....;)

erikgreen

Captain

A plasma cutter will take those bad boys off right quick! :D

(I'm sorry, couldn't resist)

Cptkid570

Ensign

I'll have to get a more fancy brick :)

I'd imagine that some sort of lime away or muratic acid would be bad for the gelcoat, but arent the barnacles a calcium based thing?

kcs1211

Cadet

I've had better luck when they've been on the bottom for a while. A lot of times, a pressure wash will take them off when they've been on for 6 months +. Its worked for me.

mthieme

Captain

I've never had a pressure washer take off anything on the bottom except the paint.
I grew up using a barnacle scraper which is nothing more than a paint scrape that is pulled.
This is also a good scraper for you woodworkers. I use it to pop off the glue beads when joining boards. You'll need to sharpen the blades though. This is easily done holding it perpendicular on your belt or disc sander.

buckeyboy

Seaman

no easy way around it. lot's of scraping and sanding. once they dry a powerwasher wont touch em. have fun.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a continuous flow of ice-cold water may do it. I may not be absolutely correct, but I think those creatures appear only in warm water areas. Just as a quick survey: has anyone in the cold temperature areas experience these creatures?

Cptkid570

Ensign

They are dried up and boat has been out of the water for probably a year or more. so, I don't think there is anything alive when it comes to the creatures.

I was at the boat this morning, didn't have a scraper, but messed around on it with a crowbar some and it looks like I'm going to be able to get them off with a scraper... then I'll sand it down.

capt pete3

Recruit

I have an aluminum pontoon boat that was covered with Barnacles. After trying some other methods without much sucess I discovered "this trick".
WD-40--- right! the boat had been out of the water about 10 days when I decided to try to loosen the foot left by scraping. I sprayed the hulls with WD-40 using a speay bottle from the Dollor store and bulk WD-40 (gallon).
after one application the results were promising. I let sit a day and sprayed it again. Better! after the third application the barnacles snapped off clean with a dull putty knife. a pressure washer also works well. this should work on fiberglass also without damaging the Gel-coat.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.