1979 150hp Ebinrude

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I'm back on here again with a question on another motor that I have found and I need to ask questions about it. he wants $1200.00 dollars for this motor and said a friend rebuilt it for him not too long back but the friend was a better position than he was so he sold him the boat it came and with intentions of getting another haul but he needs money due to loss of income he is going through. he said he is willing to hold the motor seeing that I can get it by income tax. now my question. its a 1997 150hp Evinrude split fire motor. seeing that my knowledge isn't in marine motors, I must ask thoughts about this type of motor. Ive been on a quest to find a motor for this boat and have asked about several motors but the 150hp is the one size I have been looking for the most, seeing that its perfect for a 20ft boat. I have been searching up on split fire but really haven't found anything that would give me an idea of if this motor is a good breed or is it something to stay away from. this is a pretty big investment for me and I want to make sure Im doing it right. your welcome to give me any views and info or where I could read up more about the engine. Thanks for all of your time

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 150hp Ebinrude

These are good little motors. I would ask what was replaced in repair,and if you could check engine over(compression,spark,lower unit oil). This is about averge price for these engines. Nada pricing below.

Low Retail Average Retail
$1,585 $1,780

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I didn't think about lower unit oil. That I will. I'm going to meet him tomorrow and will ask him about that and check it out. I'm going to ask him to start it so I can see what it sounds like and make sure its peeing. how is the split fire on gas? I know the EFI motors are better. whats the split fire in terms of name? I almost forgot to ask. I have a 140hp evinrude that's on the boat with a bad midsection steering deal but the 150 doesn't have a prop and the 140 does. can I use this prop on the 150 or do I need to get one?

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

try the existing prop and see what your wot rpms are, that is the key.

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, what should the rpms be? I could just look around to and see what a prop would cost. I dont want to do the wrong thing. Ive heard crossfire,loop and now spitfire. whats the difference? I tried google it but didnt really get any info that would explain that. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's a basic 60* looper. That's the motor you want for your Mako. See if you can get the wiring harness with the motor since it's different than the harness for your older motor. There are adaptors but you're better off with the 96 & newer harness.

That 150 will be quicker, faster, smoother and get better economy than the 140 cf ever will. Not likely the prop will fit. the 140 cf probably has a 13 spline shaft, the V6 uses a 15 spline shaft. Don't worry about that. Depending on what load you carry you'll need a 17 or 19.

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I will need to see if he still has the wire or controls with it? if he doesnt then I have to look for them. ok, that makes sense. I didnt know that. Thanks. Im going to see him today if possible due to work time but either way I will see it by this weekend. Thanks. Im slowly getting it together. :). Thanks for the help

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spoke with him tonight and he wished he had them but didn't think of it at the time so I will have to find a wiring harness for it. I had to postpone going to see it till tomorrow after work. I'm trying to at least get him to hold on to it till my check comes in. finding 150hp aren't find with limited funds. do I need to look for a evinrude harness for a 150hp or by any year? I know you said something 94 time line? crossing fingers on this motors . thanks for help

tashasdaddy

you need a 1996 or newer control with trim n tilt, and wiring harness. does not have to be a 150hp controller. also check to see that he did not cut the connector plug off the motor. there are several connectors, rather than the one big red plug.

here is one, but check if you need wire harness between control and motor. these guys are a regular retail parts house.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170300348746

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat I'm buying has everything to the motor but is a 84/85 140hp yr on the boat. The question raised on if this wiring will work with the 79 Evinrude 159hp 79 model? I thought It wouldn't matter since they are both Evinrude but it may not either. this is going to be a project to make it come together but at the same time I'm going learn a lot from this. I dont mind that but boy is this going to work on my budget. Im also going to ask once everything is on whats going to be the best size prop for gas saving but have some speed. I dont just want speed because gas more important. Thanks

tashasdaddy

they 84/85 control will work with the 1979 motor, no problem. for motors 1996 and newer you need the new controls or the adapters.

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats good news. my wife like you have to spend money why didn't we just buy new?lol Im like what I put in this boat will still be less than a new one and I can put what I want but Thanks for the information. that will save me some money. hard to work on limited budget but I can only do my best,Thanks again

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 150hp Ebinrude but model number says 92

Re: 1979 150hp Ebinrude but model number says 92

Here is the model# E150ELENC and the serial number is 0 031411819. it was a coast guard motor at one time from the stickers on it. anyway, I cant get pictures to post of motor but guy said it was a 1997 spitfire 150ho but after looking at it and putting a small deposit down, I came back home and Google it. it says its a 92 model. when you look at the rear of the motor and follow the plugs to the top, there is something that I would say looks like a bolt that about a inch size with a white o ring on both sides. one looks real clean and new but the one on the left side is kinda dark around the ring and it doesn't look as clean and new as the other. it wasnt on a stand so I couldn't do any type of test. it looks like it was just hung there for storage reasons. we talked for awhile and said it was rebuilt and tank tested before he brought it there but funds loss due to the jobs dried up and he cant afford to get another haul and needed the money more than a boat. he kept assuring me that its in good shape. I can build a stand to mount it but I don't know how to get it started since it doesn't have the harness and I don't want to just start crossing that plug and burn something up or mess any electronic parts. I really want to do a compression test and see if I can start it. I do have several pics of the motor so that you can see that dark area and what the motor looks like if you want to email the pics. I cant get any pics on here. please take a look and maybe you can tell me what I should do? 1,200 dollars is a great price but I don't want to waste it either. Thanks

Last edited: