Hard Steering, Left or right???

JCSuperman

Cadet
Hi everyone... got a steering problem.<br /><br />Just replaced my transom, rotted out.. 1986 Bayliner Capri, factory used 3/4" plywood, I used 1 1/2" plywood.. LOTS BETTER...<br /><br />When I purchased the boat last August the steering was REALLLY hard when going any faster than "no wake." I replaced the transom thinking that this was the problem, but the steering is still as hard as it was last year. Also, if I let the wheel go (in the middle of the lake) the boat takes a sharp turn to the right. The steering wheel linkage was loose under the consoule, tightened, still hard.... ????? <br /><br />Any suggestions? would the steering system be bad?? never had this before!<br /><br />Thanks in advance... Jerry

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Hard Steering, Left or right???

Hey JCSuperman,<br /><br />It sounds like you have rust in the tilt tube where the steering cable passes thru it.<br /><br />This will cause it to steer hard.<br /><br />You need to disconnect the cable and clean out the rust and then lubricate it.<br /><br />If it is rusted really bad, the tilt tube itself may be rusted and would have to be replaced.<br /><br />(Hopefully the tilt tube is not rusted severly because I just had mine replaced, and that cost $500!!)<br /><br />As far as the steering veering to the right if you let go of the steering wheel, that is caused by the torque of the engine and can only be eliminated by installing a No-Feed-Back (NFB)steering system.<br /><br />NFB can be installed relitivly easily if you already have a Tele-Flex steering system by replacing the steerring helm behind the dash with a NFB helm, for about $200.<br /><br />You could also replace the entire system with a hydraulic one, but that will set you back about $1,000, but you really can't beat the hydraulic system.<br /><br />Hope that helps.<br /><br />Kenny

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey there JC. I too have a Bayliner. I have went throught the steering with a fine-tooth comb. I asked the guy I bought the boat from about that. He bought the boat new in '91 and said it has always been that way. I have disconnected the steering cable & greased every zerk on the steering system. Unfortunately, some boats are just hard to steer. I've learned to deal with it,since I don't feel like dumping a grand on hydraulic steering.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

JCSuperman - You didn't tell us what you had for a motor. You can take out the pull quite easily by adjusting the tab right behind the prop for most motors. Adjust in small increments.<br /><br />To determine the reason for the stiffness (first some motors have an adjustment bolt that may be too tight) disconnect the steering from the motor. If the motor then turns freely the problem is in the steering system.