What Tork thermostat cover 9.9. Evin 1986

Nick Las

Cadet
I need to know what should the torque be for a thermostat cover on a 1986 9.9 Evinrude? The cover is about 5" long not small and round. Does it need to be torqued? The lower two bolts are too low in the frame to get a to with a torque wrench. THANKS ..:confused:.. Nick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Tork thermostat cover 9.9. Evin 1986

ok, you are talking about the early production model, thats is the complete water jacket. i get them as tight as i can, and cross my fingers. sometimes you can get a 1/4 inch ratchet in there.

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I need to know what should the torque be for a thermostat cover on a 1986 9.9 Evinrude? The cover is about 5" long not small and round. Does it need to be torqued? The lower two bolts are too low in the frame to get a to with a torque wrench. THANKS ..:confused:.. Nick

Basically they need to be as tight as necessary so there are no water leaks. If you used a new gasket there then just tighten them up firmly and you should be ok!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Just keep in mind you are dealing with a 1/4'' bolt in cast aluminum. A clean surface, new gasket, and sealer, and just pull it up evenly.