Porta Potty - How Necessary?

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at my first boat purchase and looking in the 20-24 foot range for either a deck boat or a bowrider. Some have heads and some do not. I have not been a big boater in the past, and have no feel for how much we would actually use the head if we had one. We will likely be boating with my family (wife, and 3 kids aged 8 - 13), and likely one or two of their friends of about the same age. Some people I've talked to say they have never used the heads on their boats, but some dealers have told me it's a necessity for me given my planned use. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated in helping me narrow down the boats I'm looking at for purchase.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Porta Potty - How Necessary?

we have one in our deckboat, kids, you cannot control when the have to go #2, #1 you can put a PFD on them and throw the overboard. also on cooler days, the wife will be mush happier, with a potty. and we all know when mom's happy everyone is. bears do it in the woods, kids & wives don't like it. i personally rarely use our, off the swim platform works for me.

when we grew up with outboards, and splash wells, the girls use the splash well.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here in Utah if you are beach camping for more than the day, it is a law you have a porta-potty of some kind. Some lakes are somewhat lax about it but some come around every day to check and will issue a ticket if you don't have one. The biggest reason it's like that here is because lake levels can change SO MUCH from year to year. One year your trip to the woods, will be the beach the next year. I have even seen some porta potties that are nothing more than a 5 gal bucket with a liner. when finished remove liner throw away and be done, no clean out etc.

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With all the rules and enforcement at Lake Powell, I still found beaches seriously fouled with human waste last year. Please get a portapotti and use it. I know they're a pain to have to deal with - one more thing to empty and clean after every trip. #1 goes over the back, #2 in the portapotti. Although , if your mate is modest, she'll appreciate the potti for both.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Kids and a wife........gotta have it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Basic math.
Small kids (<12 or so) + full day on the boat = POTTIE!
No question about it.

tashasdaddy

i'm going to get killed for this. but this is my sister, on the bow ladder, guess what?? getting rim of used beer.
Keys2008010.jpg

she is not shy, was broken in as a kid using the splashwell. porta potty is in cabin under port windshield.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

There is an age that either above or below will require the use of a porta potti. If you have female guests aboard, they will probably appreciate that they don't have to go "take a dip" to relieve themselves. Also, older folks seem to like having and using one.
It would seem that the kids would appreciate it, since it may be hard for them to "perform" while being dangled over the stern, pants around their ankles. Or being ushered into the water to do their duty. :)

PS: Geeez, TD, throw that lady a rope...seems like she could use some help!! :p:D

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I got to ask this....

I can't picture anyone, over the age of about 6, willing to use a Porta-Potty...in an open bow (deck) boat! What is everyone else supposed to do...'promise' to face south, until the deed is done?

You need to get rid of the beer on my boat...you have to be willing to get wet. 'Boys night out'...then you just better know which way the wind is blowing!

ziggy

Admiral

can't picture anyone, over the age of about 6, willing to use a Porta-Potty...in an open bow (deck) boat! What is everyone else supposed to do...'promise' to face south, until the deed is done?
yep, that's exactly what everyone else does. out of respect.
i don't have a head on my boat. i use a folgers coffee can. works real good for #1 too.. it's much better than going overboard. less chance of falling in. if i remember right. when i was in power squadron class, they had a statistic that many drowned men had their fly open. i wonder why???? i think it'd be hard to use for #2, but it'd be a better option than nothing...
if ya have the option of a head or not. go for the head. i'd use it. so would my gf. other than that. the coffee can works as well as could be. it also meets uscg requirements for a bailing bucket.... :D

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

When we were last boat shopping, the porta-potti was the big decider between equal boats. You should look to see how the "facility" is placed, head room, etc.

My mid-cabin has it's in the cabin section and one could stand-up to use it. With the bi-fold door, modesty was maintained.

I was not really looking forward to empty that sucker after the season was over. I have a great gag reflex and I really wasn't looking forward even handling the thing. To my suprise, the chemicals did their job and I got through it, with no issues.

As others have said, it is better to have one and not need it, than needing one and not having it. Sorry to others, but hanging 10 just doesn't cut it. I know what fish do in the water, but jees. You don't throw your trash overboard do you? So why human waste?

salty87

Commander

yep, that's exactly what everyone else does. out of respect.
i don't have a head on my boat. i use a folgers coffee can. works real good for #1 too.. it's much better than going overboard. less chance of falling in. if i remember right. when i was in power squadron class, they had a statistic that many drowned men had their fly open. i wonder why???? i think it'd be hard to use for #2, but it'd be a better option than nothing...
if ya have the option of a head or not. go for the head. i'd use it. so would my gf. other than that. the coffee can works as well as could be. it also meets uscg requirements for a bailing bucket.... :D

^ that's where that word comes from?...@hitcan

there's a swim platform on mine. standing room only for the guys...otherwise, i'm taking you back to shore before anyone violates a coffee can like that on my boat!!

i think i'd be more than willing to look the other way if i was on your boat. i'd be careful if i was looking in a storage locker on your boat too...haha

funny pic from a boat ad:
663281.jpg

erikgreen

Captain

I'm going to have female divers and riders in my boat a lot. Having a porta-potti will save many high speed runs back to shore, and not coincidentally make the females much more likely to visit my boat.

Plus the little compartment for it can work as a changing room, which is also helpful with wet/cold divers.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I'm going to have female divers and riders in my boat a lot. Having a porta-potti will save many high speed runs back to shore, and not coincidentally make the females much more likely to visit my boat.

Plus the little compartment for it can work as a changing room, which is also helpful with wet/cold divers.

That's the missing key..."the little compartment"!

On my small 17.5 ft bow rider...there ain't going to be any Porta Potty.

There will be...Porta-HOLD IT!

tashasdaddy

rick, "PS: Geeez, TD, throw that lady a rope...seems like she could use some help!" i caught her just starting to get back up the ladder. such a 50 year old tom boy.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

rick, "PS: Geeez, TD, throw that lady a rope...seems like she could use some help!" i caught her just starting to get back up the ladder. such a 50 year old tom boy.

You are now double 'darned'!

First...the picture.

Second...her age!

Wouldn't want to be you...at the next family reunion!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

With a wife and kids, yes I would consider a PP an essential item. Even for the guys who don't have those family members, it sure makes getting that hot new woman talked into going out on the boat!

I bought my latest project boat precisely because it has a cuddy cabin that will allow installation of a v-berth and a PP. I have a three year old and those two things will keep us out in the bayou when its nap time and potty time. I've also been known to shoot a model or two (photos, no initials D.C. here!) on a shell beach. While some of the girls are very adventurous, others are not and the first things they want to know about a shoot in the "boonies," is where they will do changes and if there is a "bathroom" available.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like we will be getting a boat with a head.

marco-polo

Cadet

Hey Golf, good question, lots of good feedback. I recently bought a 24' deck boat with the porta potty and planned not to use it, just storage space. Maybe I should reconsider.

But what about cleaning up after all the little (big) boys that "miss?