Lowrance ifinder h20 w/FHSP: will it do the trick

ebry710

Ensign
I just read and digested the "Do you own a GPS?" thread and noticed that 6 people have the ifinder h2o. I assume that you can find where you are with them, but:
1) are those FHSP maps accurate and upgradeable
2) can you make notes on them so you can go back to the same spot, remember what you did and note changes?
3) can the h2o's also be used for driving?
4) if you currently own a depth finder, does this unit eliminate the need for a combo unit?
5) Do you like it?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Lowrance ifinder h20 w/FHSP: will it do the trick

1. The hot spots map have more detail for some areas. For instance some of the lakes have been enhanced to show contour lines and more detail. They are only upgradeable when Lowrance adds enhanced maps of lakes to their list which is free.
2. You can't make notes but you can make waypoints to go back to any point you want.
3. Yes if used with Map Create but of course no oral directions.
4. Mine used to be my primary until I got a LCX 27C. Now its my back up.
5. Yes. I have had the color and black and white. The color was too hard to see in bright sunlight but the B&W works fine.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

we use one for ice and open water fishing. for here in minnesota the lake maps are good and accurate. usually we never have to drill more than 2 holes to be right on the depth the maps shows. a lot of the lake maps for here are the enhanced maps. picking the brand of GPS that has the best maps of the area you fish is one of the most important considerations. the screen is pretty small for driving directions unless a co pilot is reading the GPS but yes you can use it for driving. one feature it has is that most of the launch ramps are marked even on lakes that there is no map for. i've only used it once while in the field. we were grouse hunting and the maps were pretty good. it didn't show logging roads but all the forest service roads and most field to woods edges were pretty accurate. we can mark our locations when we find fish or structure we like and name it. but you will need to keep a log book of what a name means or you can use our method of sitting and arguing about what name means what. the log book will be more accurate and easier but far less entertaining. overall for a hand held do all unit it is very impressive. does it replace a unit designed specifically to be mounted permanently in you car or boat no. it is also not easy on batteries. but i don't think any of the color map units are so get a power cord for in the boat if you plan to use it all day.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I got the Freedom Maps card for road travel...and I can 'pinpoint' every MacDonalds in the U.S.A.! Very detailed...includes restaurants, shopping malls, banks, etc.

I also have the NauticPath card for boating...shows everything that I need for off-shore boating (even known sunken wrecks).

I use the H20C...and it came with a car adapter, which works great in the 12v accessory port on the boat.

My only objection is that the screen can be hard to see, in bright sunlight. I 'fashioned' a cardboard 'hood'...and that solved that issue.

ebry710

Ensign

I went to West Marine today and was surprised how small the screen was. For what I does I like it, but I don't think I'd be able to get much detail out of the screen. I like the thought of two unit though (depth finder and gps). It seems more practical to monitor both depth and location at the same time without continually pushing a button. Being able to move the unit to my vehicle would be quite the bonus.