Mercury OptiMax vs Evinrude E-Tech

Fitwon2002

Recruit
Which engine pollutes less, gets better MPG, uses less fuel and oil, performs better at low speed and high speed? I am looking at a 60 HP E-tech but would consider a 75 HP Optimax.

Thanks for any info. :D

Curtis in Oregon

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury OptiMax vs Evinrude E-Tech

Which engine pollutes less, gets better MPG, uses less fuel and oil, performs better at low speed and high speed? I am looking at a 60 HP E-tech but would consider a 75 HP Optimax.

Thanks for any info. :D

Curtis in Oregon

The E-TECs are 3 star certified motors, which pollute a lot less than the 2 star rated ones. The EPA gave E-TEC an award for being the cleanest outboard that it tested.

http://www.epa.gov/air/caaac/2004awar.html

Since you mention the 75 Opti, Why not consider the 75 E-TEC as it is a strong running motor and much quieter than the Opti?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

When evaluating these motors don't forget the Etec 75.Also compare
service intervals both for frequency and complication.
Etec has no breakin period,no service required for 3 years or 300 hours.Evinrude is celebrating 100 years with a number of promotions.
Efficiency is pretty much a wash with each motor excelling in different areas.

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Any discussion on the Optimax still going?

Im looking to put a 90 HP Optimax on the back of a Osprey Manitou Pontoon.

Got a price of $6,500 for a "show" engine, which Im sure is code for demo.

Any thoughts?

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a 90HP Optimax. I got it for $7,000.00 installed. If I chose to install it myself it would have been $6,300. This was not a demo, this was factory fresh. Additional items that were needed: control cables $90, sidemount controls $280.

All in all I thought I got a good deal.

Mercury was running a promotion of 2 extra years of warranty for free up until 15-April. They may have something similar going on now.

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

jasonbailey,

Thank you for your help.

Installation of the Optimax is included for the price I mention ($6,500). Its a new purchase even thought the pontoon is a 2007. The motor is a show engine as I mentioned. I understand what youve stated that your purchase was "new." Thank you for that understanding.

Im still mildly considering the 90 hp E-Tec ($7,500), but no one has given me a reason to stay away from an Optimax, which for a grand less, is a considerable savings. I know the issue of warranty that the E-Tec carries.

Ive seen negatives on the Optimax in other venues online by 2-3 posters - nothing more.

Absent a reputable boat mechanic or long time boater negative posting to my posting, Im 80 percent sure Ill go with the Optimax on Thursday.

Looking forward to a nice summer of boating.

Mike2076

Cadet

Thats a good deal on the opti,i do not have a favorite brand i have seen good engines from just about all them they just about all have had good years, but the etec hasnt been around as long as the opti and it has proven it self to me.Good luck Mike

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,

Thanks.

Did I understand you correctly at the end of post to say the opti has proven itself to you?

Do you own one?

To anyone else out there:

Is there anything special I should ask for on the installation of this Opti or Etec on the back of a Manitou Pontoon.

Im doing this once, so I might as well get it done right the first time.

Thanks.

Mike2076

Cadet

no i dont ,but i have several freinds i fish with that do they fish alot of tournaments and run the fire out of theirs other than the usual tune up no problems,i like the motor alot.that will be my next engine.Good luck mike

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Changed my mind again.

Went to E-tec and upped the HP to 115.

This was harder to deal with than buying a two-year-old car (lol).

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone want to tell me what kinda power I have with 115 HP outboard evinrude? It will be pushing about 2500 to 3000 lbs of a pontoon boat.

I kayaked around my 65 acre lake yesterday and saw that the pontoon Im getting will have the largest engine as it relates to pontoons. I got a few power boats (5) on my lake though, so it wont be like Im racing anyone.

Just want to tube folks. Cant pull skiers Im sure.

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Wow,

Thanks for the information. Do I need a skier bar, or can i use same tow rope I use (connected to toons) for tubing?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Skiers prefer the rope higher, but you can ski with the rope pulling from the waterline too . . . not perfect, but if they are not tournament skiers it really doesn't matter much. Wakeboarding is another thing.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I remember in the 50s and early 60s we used to, put the rope on the lower unit above the anti vent(cavitation plate).Worked fine then of course not practical now with bigger boats,motors and sofisticated sking technology.
The good thing was the strain of the skier was directed directly to the thrust of the motor. eliminating the extra strain on the somwhat less sofisticated transoms of the day.

56 rude

Banned

I remember in the 50s and early 60s we used to, put the rope on the lower unit above the anti vent(cavitation plate).Worked fine then of course not practical now with bigger boats,motors and sofisticated sking technology.
The good thing was the strain of the skier was directed directly to the thrust of the motor. eliminating the extra strain on the somwhat less sofisticated transoms of the day.
i remember pulling skiers behind a 20 hp merc and a 14 foot al.boat!i also remember that me being a kind brother use to pull my brother into the weeds and cut the motor and then yell ,are there any pike there!,lol:)

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Gang,

Great weekend with new motor (Evinrude 115 E-tec) on new pontoon (Manitou 22' Osprey).

The motor was really quiet at a slow and deliberate speed. Could hear conversations on boat. A comment was made that a wine glass that was 2/3 full (and in a cup holder) had hardly a ripple inside.

The motor pulled this tuber at a brisk 21MPH (monitored by mobile car GPS unit). Thats all I could handle on the tube! It was awesome! Did some fishing as well. In-laws and mother also enjoyed a leisure ride on a small 65 acre inland lake.

All-in-all, a great boat (except for the half hour job of the mooring cover (ugh).

Thank you to all for your help during this process. I will continue to post. I even got an additional nearly $400 off the 115 with just going back to the Evinrude Website and seeing they had a deal of "up to" $1,000 off through June 30. So I paid just $1,600 over a 90 HP Mercury "show engine" with only a 1-year warranty. Got a 3-year with the Evinrude. Still think I did good.

Anyone with thoughts on the 25MPH of top speed with the 115. Is that normal with a 2,600 lb pontoon plus 3 people.

Thats a lot of speed to me, however I will take your advice on here because you deal with this more than I have.

TooManyQuestions

Seaman Apprentice

Update to previous post:

Had the speed up to 30 MPH (per a hand held car GPS) with one person on 22 ft. Manitou Pontoon with 115 Evinrude Etec.