where to buy a GM truck long block

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hey guys, i am posting here for a friend, he has a merc 5.7 that has a slight lower end knock , last time compression test was done , i think he got like 100 110 the most on the cilinders.

he wants to replace with a reman 5.7 then again he was told he could get a gm truck long block new for the same money as the reman, he know he would have use a marine water pump, freezer plugs ect, does anyone know of a place that sells reasonable?? price wize, i gess that it

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: where to buy a gm truck long block

i think you go through the gm dealer

Cptkid570

Ensign

you could get a reman marine long block from rapidomarine.com for the same price as you'd buy a truck reman long block.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

bolo.............didn't you get an engine from Rapido?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
Re: where to buy a GM truck long block

thanks guys , yes tony i am selling the boat right now so far it is running great. this engine is for my frieng, he said he wants a new not rebuild GM truck long block, if he cant get one then he will go the rapidi way. tony with all the new regulation on the fishry and all i do is fish it dosent worth keeping the boat anymore, plus i got laid of from my job, the one i got now only can put food on my family table, no extra for a boat. real sad.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

I bought an engine from Rapido actually.. a 4.3 a couple of years ago. No problems with it, and great service. Valves needed a little adjusting, but that's it. He comes recommended..

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If he insists on using a new block from GM Make sure he verifies the head gasket material if this is going to be a raw water cooled engine. Hate to see him spend all that money just to have it fail in a couple of years.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

sorry to hear of your situation bolo.........

John_S

Rear Admiral

If he insists on using a new block from GM Make sure he verifies the head gasket material if this is going to be a raw water cooled engine. Hate to see him spend all that money just to have it fail in a couple of years.

Always best to check to be safe, but the last time I checked a couple of the GM 350 crate engines, they came with the SS-graphite composite head gaskets. Same as what is used in the marine.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys , after talking it over with him today he is leaning on taking one from rapido marine, i once heard on this forum that if you are a member on this forum rapido will give a discount.

so far the one that i got from him is running great ,did have some valve issues but i got that solve,

thanks to everyone who put there input on this.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I would also recommend Raul @ Rapido..........my Vortec ran well last year.......~65hrs so far.