Help with deck installation

77mutiny

Seaman Apprentice
i'm prepping to install my new deck after replacing the stringers and transom,
after much searching of the threads i plan on doing the following
1/2in pt plywood - dried for at least a month or until dry
2 coats of epoxy on underside
countersink ss screws through deck to stringers coated with 5200 and cover with epoxy
2 coats of epoxy and cloth on top
followed by rustoleum topside with non slip additive.

i have a few questions and thoughts though.......
1. what type of cloth would be best for the deck topside? i'm thinking biax but thats a heavy cloth to be applying twice......maybe one layer of biax one of finish cloth?.....anything but chopped strand
2. also i've used the pl construction stuff thats popular on this forum a couple times during my project, and i was wandering if anyone has ever used it to fill the void between the hull and the sides of the deck, there's going to be a slite gap there of course, and initially i was going to use peanut butter...... but it gets so expensive buying the epoxy, milled fibers, cabosil....ect ect to make pb, when i could get a case of the pl construction for 50$ at lowes and i think it would work just as well. mind you i've got at least 30 ft of decking to fill around (counting both sides of the hull).
if i do use that i would of course layup the epoxy and cloth on top afterwards.
so please let me know what you guys think,
thanks in advance

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help with deck installation

don't use PT plywood, it will eat your seat fasteners, and leave a hole to rot. pt will rot just like any other wood. especially where it gets wet and dry. where do fence post rot of, ground level, where it gets wet and dry.

PL around the edges sound like a good idea. if the crack is big, stuff some cloth in there as backing, then PL.

77mutiny

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply tasha, i've read a ton about pro's and cons of pt vs reg ply for the deck on these forums, i really don't want to open up that argument again, i've already bought the wood and have rigged up some boards to help it dry straight, seems like no matter what wood you have it'll all rot some day, i'm just hoping to get a good couple years from it. as far as the seat fasteners, i'm going to either countersink and cover with epoxy or epoxy a second board to the deck and screw to it. gonna make sure to thoroughly seal any through deck fixtures

i really like the idea of using pl for the sides, i've used peanut butter for bedding the stringers and transom, but i think i could get away with pl for the deck, as it is i'm spending about 15$ to 25$ for pb mixture items at my local marine store, for the equivelent amount of pl that comes in a tube for 4$!!!

any thoughts on cloth for the topside of the deck anyone???

77mutiny

Seaman Apprentice

*BUMP*

Update, i was able to talk lowes into letting me return my pt ply for ext ply, that way i don't have to wait a month+ to let it dry, since i'm already getting grief from my homeowners assoc about the boat rebuilding.....gotta get it done soon i suppose..

at any rate, i've got the boards all cut and coated with epoxy on the underside, still waiting to see if anyone could give me some tips on what cloth to use on the topside of the deck????
been searching the forums like crazy but haven't come up with many definitive answers.
i think chopped strand followed up by biax might be reasonable????
then followed by my topside paint.
please let me know what you guys think
thanks

CaptRoob

Cadet

i'm in the process of helping a friend rebuild his 16' skiff. we will be doing 2 layers 12 ounce biax tape on all seams and then a 6 oz woven cloth over the deck and up the sides just past the biax tape